What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing nose wheel

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
The plans for installing the nose wheel have several dimensions (for example, the center of the axle nut is 5 1/2" on the floor) and the notation that these are to be checked with the longerons level.

Do folks usually check this with the engine on or off. My engine is currently not installed, and just futzing with it today I couldn't get the longerons level (got it to .5 degrees) because I couldn't lift the tail anymore because of the nosewheel.

My measurement such as it is is the center of the axle bolt is at 5 7/16." I currently have 25 psi in the wheel and I know it calls for 35 (which would, not doubt, give me my 5 1/2" but I still wouldn't have level longerons).

Anyway, what do you folks usually do here?

Hi Bob,

Are you installing the nosewheel pant? If so, it is best done with the plane jacked up off the ground and leveled, so the legs are relaxed with no weight on them. The 5 1/2" dimension would be a reference and tire height from ground could be added. It is necessary to have the plane level so the pants can be set to mount in trail with the plane in level flight. If you are just installing the nosewheel, at this time, that dimension is not used.

Hope this helps,

Roberta

Back