What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing canopy - pop rivets?

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
We're just about ready to permanently install the top fiberglass canopy, and we saw in the instructions that the canopy is attached all around with CS4-4 pop rivets (page 43-10 step 10).

I cannot understand why we're not to use regular rivets here. The holes are easy to get to, most of them can be squeeze riveted, and the overall appearance and quality will be better. Is there a particular reason I can't use regular rivets here? The only thing I can speculate is that we might crush the fiberglass, but I used regular rivets on the fiberglass cowel to no ill effect.

Plans change?

This must be a change. I have 40274 and my plans called for solid rivets with an alum strip backer

Gary

Maybe plan change

I have build #41389, taken delivery in Sept. 2012, and it definitely calls for pop rivets. They must have changed it for a reason, so I guess this answers my question.

Gary, plans have always called out CS4-4s for the cabin top attach. Years ago reason cited by Vans was to protect the fiberglass.

Bob

Every kit I have worked on since early 2005 has called for CS4-4 rivets. The solid rivets sweep when they are bucket and that can damage the fiberglass top. I believe we had one of the first finishing kits sold (probably within the first 50 or less) and it called for pop rivets.

Page 43-10, figure 4. Rivet call-out is shown in the lower left of the figure as CS4-4s.

Bob

Poor Memory

I didn't go back and look at the plans, just went from memory. The old gray memory aint what she used to be!! Thanks Bob

Gary

I Pro-sealed the aluminum backing strips after drilling, then clecoed them in place until cured before installing the pull rivets. I did the same to the hinge half's on the cowlings before squeezing those rivets.

Every one I've seen covers the pop rivet lines with glass/filler. If you work it right the pop rivets get buried and the solid rivet lines remain viasible.

Back