What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing a 7A Landing Gear?

Gary's RV7A

I received my nose gear strut from Lanaire this week. I plan on installing my landing gear in the near future. I understand from all the threads on the nose gear that the Van's directions might need to be update. So with that said, what is the best process for installation? Close tolerance bolts?, reamer?, Size?, Suppliers? Any suggestion? Thanks!

I chose to follow (mostly) the installation described on the Matronics Wiki here: http://www.matronics.com/wiki/index.php/RV_Nose_Gear_Strut. I deviated slightly by using a -3 taper pin instead of the -4 called out in the article. Was not too difficult once I learned how to use the reamer properly and provided a very tight joint. Found the AN386-3-16 taper pins at bonaero.com ~$8 ea. I used one of them for the main gear also. I fitted the first main gear leg with the AN386-4-13 per the article but did not like the fit (-13 is too short, -14 would be better) or the amount of material that had to be removed. The smallest diameter of the -3 pins is very close to the diameter of the bolt called out in the plans (about .010 larger).

Dave
RV-7A Fuselage
"Rolling the Canoe" this weekend.:D

I chose to follow (mostly) the installation described on the Matronics Wiki here: http://www.matronics.com/wiki/index.php/RV_Nose_Gear_Strut. I deviated slightly by using a -3 taper pin instead of the -4 called out in the article. Was not too difficult once I learned how to use the reamer properly and provided a very tight joint. Found the AN386-3-16 taper pins at bonaero.com ~$8 ea. I used one of them for the main gear also. I fitted the first main gear leg with the AN386-4-13 per the article but did not like the fit (-13 is too short, -14 would be better) or the amount of material that had to be removed. The smallest diameter of the -3 pins is very close to the diameter of the bolt called out in the plans (about .010 larger).

Dave
RV-7A Fuselage
"Rolling the Canoe" this weekend.:D

Anybody try the same thing on a -7A main gear leg?

Mike

Back