What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installation of Gretz Pitot - real world experience

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
I am about to install the Gretz Heated Pitot and mast and have been steadily trawling the threads

I have three questions:

1. Of all those who have installed the Gretz Pitot in the Vans "standard RV-10 pitot position" ever had any issues with:

a) The tie down ropes at airports (flying examples only please)
b) Interferance with the control rods for the Aeilerons
c) other issues
d) How did you install the controller and connections
If so, what were they, and what would be the alternative solution given hindsight and a do-over.

2. Of those who installed in a alternate location (please be specific), what issues, if any, did you come across during installation, flying, etc.. and how did you address them.

3. Did everyone use aluminium tubing as the run or was other materials used.

Thanks in advance everyone....

I am about to install the Gretz Heated Pitot and mast and have been steadily trawling the threads

I have three questions:

1. Of all those who have installed the Gretz Pitot in the Vans "standard RV-10 pitot position" ever had any issues with:

a) The tie down ropes at airports (flying examples only please)​
b) Interferance with the control rods for the Aeilerons​
c) other issues​
d) How did you install the controller and connections​
If so, what were they, and what would be the alternative solution given hindsight and a do-over.

Read Tim Olson's write up on myrv10.com. I followed his example as well as many others. I've not heard of any issues in that location. Tie down considerations is what primarily drove that location. I did replace the annuciator board with another solution that matches my other annunciators.

2. Of those who installed in a alternate location (please be specific), what issues, if any, did you come across during installation, flying, etc.. and how did you address them.

I'm not flying yet, but I've not heard of issues from those that are flying.

3. Did everyone use aluminium tubing as the run or was other materials used.

Thanks in advance everyone....

I used aluminium tubing in the wing and transitioned to other tubing in the wing root. I didn't use any aluminium in the fuselage for either pitot or static.

bob

Currently flying. No interference issues. Aluminum tube to wing root bulkhead fitting. Mounted controller on rib a few inches from pitot. Controller is in a zip-lok bag for dust/insect protection. If I did it again I'd use a plastic project box instead of the bag. Mostly because it would look better.

I mounted mine on the inboard side of the 3rd rib (counting from the tip) (Tim has his on the inboard side of the 2nd rib). I have small hands and can get in to this position thru the last wing access plate.

I am careful of possible interference with tie down ropes, if the anchors are spaced far apart. So far I have not encountered any problems.

I have the Dynon pitot/Gretz mount. I needed 2 tubing runs (pitot, AOA) and I made them both out of nylon tubing from Stein (he sells clear and red, so I could color-code to keep which is which straight!). Temperature controller is mounted to the rib.

Just to be contrary mine is mounted in the right wing. (At one time I was thinking of retaining the Van's pitot in the left wing). BTW, the hole left in the wing for the original Van's pitot is just the right size for the GRT OAT probe.

Mine isn't flying yet so I can't say much except that my RV-6A has a standard heated pitot just outboard the tie-down and I have not been much troubled by interference. I do know of another RV that attempted to taxi while still tied down that bent it's pitot.

I'm using a SafeAir static/pitot line kit and had no problem attaching it to the Gretz. They do say not to let the controller board get shorted, so I found a scented-candle that came in a suitable tin and repurposed the tin into an electronics cover mounted to the next inboard rib. It'll keep dust and grime off (I put a drain hole in the bottom for condensation). I just couldn't see letting it sit uncovered in the wing.

Back