What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Install rudder pedals in back of flying RV-4?

Does anyone have experience / opinion of how difficult it would be to put Vans or some other form of rudder pedals in the back of a flying RV4? I should say a RV4 that has already flown. :)

Thanks,
Daryl in WY

Last edited:
If you are looking for the Van's RV-4 rear seat rudder pedal kit, please let me know-- I may have one for sale at an excellent price.

Vern

RV4 Rear rudder pedals

Daryl...

I have installed Van's rear pedal kit in a flying RV4. It is pretty straight forward to do but there is not much room to do this. I also had to fabricate some foot wells for the back seat. My problem was the throttle for the front seat was built fairly low on the side of the fuselage and it was of a somewhat bulky design. The left pedal movement conflicted with the throttle mount so I had to cut the pedal cross piece shorter for clearance...a "T" shape pedal was now an inverted "L". Had the installation been planned during the original construction phase all these things would have been thought out and the fit would have been better but this was a retrofit so I had to compromise.

I never flew with those pedals so I don't know how they actually worked so someone else will have to give you an operational evaluation. This was an insurance repair and the aircraft is back in the owners hands since the repair in 2005. My feeling is they are probably only marginally useful for things such as airwork and not for ground handling since the feet on the rear pedals would interfere with the pilot seating.

PM me if you want pictures which are available but I will be off line starting Jan 5th as I am retired and I am going south to avoid a Minnesota winter.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
RV4 N149KC
RV8 fuselage
Northfield, MN

Rudder pedals

I originally installed the rear seat pedals in my -4 (which now has 470 hours TT). Frankly I don't think they have been used a great deal. They are functional in a pinch. Best for rear seat pax with skinny feet and a pilot with a skinny posterior!! For demo purposes one really doesn't need rudder pedals in the rear but I have them there just in case the rear pax needed to attempt a landing if I keeled over. It wouldn't be easy.

Thanks for the input. I have a skinny rear so they may be useful for me. My thought is that when checking out my son and son-in-law I could stay in the front until I have confidence that their feet are doing the right tricks before putting them in the front. I have a lot of instruction given in different tail wheel A/C and neither of these guys are duffers, but I'm getting nervous in my old age. I would also like to introduce a few other pilots to taildraggers and that is not possible without two sets of controls.

Vern, if I get close to a deal on a 4 without rear pedals, I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks,
Daryl

Last edited:
Dick, if you wouldn't mind sending the pics I would apprecirarte it. Here or private pm. As useless info, I was born in Northfield.
Thanks,
Daryl

Back