What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Install of aft canopy on Tip-Up RV-6A

aussieflyer1

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of installing the finished aft canopy onto the aft frame and fuselage in my RV6A. I have heard that some install aluminum strip between the nut and washer under the plexi, does this help and spread the load. Any pics would be great if you have them.

I'm in the process of installing the finished aft canopy onto the aft frame and fuselage in my RV6A. I have heard that some install aluminum strip between the nut and washer under the plexi, does this help and spread the load. Any pics would be great if you have them.

A 0.025 strip as backing is shown on sheet 52 of my original plans when rivets are used. I just duplicated the same for #6 screws and nuts.

I does give a tidier look, and you can size the strip to just cover the edge of the plexi.

To make fabrication easier I used two pieces of strip per side with a single screw overlap in the middle.

I'm in the process of installing the finished aft canopy onto the aft frame and fuselage in my RV6A. I have heard that some install aluminum strip between the nut and washer under the plexi, does this help and spread the load. ....

My project is at a similar stage;
I have toyed with the idea of using screws & nuts, instead of the rivets, but haven't been able to justify the change. 1) the rivets are the call-out on the plans and after testing I'm reasonably sure it's a 'good' solution. 2) the rear window being 'removable' when the front is so 'permanent' seems to offer an insignificant advantage.

Either method would seem to be appropriate, with the proper application and methods, of producing a good finished look and function. The only advantage (IMHO) of screws seems to be the ability to more easily 'adjust' the fit slightly. I intend to do screws and tap the rollbar but rivet the skin.

Any input on steps to 'seal' the surface between the plexi and skin would seem to apply to both fastener methods. What have other builders done in that regard? And any feedback on screws vs rivets?

Thanks

I installed mine per plans in 1992 with rivets. No problems.

Hint, only use a hand rivet puller and soft aluminum rivets. The "shock" of a pneumatic puller can put extra stress on the plexi.

I didn't use any kind of sealer, but then again I don't let the airplane sit out in the rain without a canopy cover.

I would do the same today.

...Any input on steps to 'seal' the surface between the plexi and skin would seem to apply to both fastener methods. What have other builders done in that regard? And any feedback on screws vs rivets?

Thanks

I used the same strip that Duckworks uses on the landing light covers... sticky foam at 1/16 x 3/16 IIRC.

With a very gentle "curl over" of the edge, the foam strip will mount flush with the edge. Since I am using screws the tension and the amount of "curl over" can be adjusted slightly to change any puckering of the skin in between rivets that might show.

Back