What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Install and Remove Wing Bolts

N282S

Well Known Member
Looks like the fed will be here early to inspect. I must have the spec'd wing bolts in for his inspection, but would like to remove the wings after he leaves. How hard is it to remove the bolts? I am guessing it varies from aircraft to aircraft. Any new tips on removing and reinstalling?

Thanks.

You don't mention whether you are in a 7 or 7A but in either case a bit of lube on the bolts should help. I have used a long steel rod to drive the temporary bolts back out (rod should be slightly smaller diameter than the bolts), but it was a PITA. I hope to never have to remove the bolts from the final installation as I am not sure whether it is possible without some damage because of the tight fit. I have read where others have used a rivet gun to help drive bolts back out. My experience is on a 9A.

Best of luck.

greg

Looks like the fed will be here early to inspect. I must have the spec'd wing bolts in for his inspection, but would like to remove the wings after he leaves. How hard is it to remove the bolts? I am guessing it varies from aircraft to aircraft. Any new tips on removing and reinstalling?

Thanks.

I don't get it??? :confused: Why would you want to go through all of this. If you're talking about a 7A, forget it. It can be done... BUT? Put the inspector off until you're really ready for him.

yes- why??

The 7A is so much easyer than the 6A
It is a project to put all those bolts back in a 6A, but I must also ask why?
You should be ready to fly with the wings on- just before the inspection.
Why would anyone want to take the wings back off?(unless you have a RV12:p)

Because

The 7A is so much easyer than the 6A
It is a project to put all those bolts back in a 6A, but I must also ask why?
You should be ready to fly with the wings on- just before the inspection.
Why would anyone want to take the wings back off?(unless you have a RV12:p)

The inspector can be here in two weeks, else I will have to wait for another six weeks min. Of course all my tools, heat, concrete floor, food, beer, good climate, etc. are here at home. The airport is several miles away. I would rather do all those nice little "wannado" things here at home vs. the airport. Sounds like either put off the inspection or bite the bolts.

Thanks.

Steve
(soon to be 283S)

The inspector can be here in two weeks, else I will have to wait for another six weeks min. Of course all my tools, heat, concrete floor, food, beer, good climate, etc. are here at home. The airport is several miles away. I would rather do all those nice little "wannado" things here at home vs. the airport. Sounds like either put off the inspection or bite the bolts.

Thanks.

Steve
(soon to be 283S)

Steve, on my 7 we had to use an impact driver to get the bolts out, which had been installed for about 6 months. It is quite a job. I asked my inspector if he could inspect mine at my house, in the driveway, with drift pins holding the wings on. He said, not a chance...it had to be ready for flight. My experience says plan on ordering a new set of bolts.

Back