What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inspection Question

N223JH

Well Known Member
Am readying plane for in-shop painting... Looks like I will have to finally install the rear window and fuel tank. Since the fuel tank covers the rearmost access panel in the floor and it fits pretty tight on the bulkhead panel, I wondered if the inspector will want these items removed for the certification inspection.

What has been the experience of flying 12's and what does Mel say?

TIA

Jim #120264
RV6A sold, puttin' RV12 together

Talk to your inspector.

Normally the fuel tank should be removed for certification inspection. Some inspectors may not require this. I do! I don't feel like I can give you a "complete" inspection with it in place.

Fuel Tank

OK, tank has to be out. Do you just leave the filler spout in place and slide the tank out from under the loosened hose connector? Does the fuel return line get in the way if built to spec? Thanks. Jim

OK, tank has to be out. Do you just leave the filler spout in place and slide the tank out from under the loosened hose connector? Does the fuel return line get in the way if built to spec? Thanks. Jim

The tank can not be removed without first removing the filler neck (ref. to maint. manual)

That is why KAI (kit assembly instructions) direct you to use a release agent on the skin surface. During initial installation you are in essence molding a reusable pro seal gasket.

Ask your DAR first

Jim,
Ask your DAR first before removing the tank. Like Mel said, some DARs do not require tank removal. Some DARs want the engine started and a mag check done in their presence. And they do not want to wait while you reassemble the plane.
Joe

That is why KAI (kit assembly instructions) direct you to use a release agent on the skin surface.

Which I did... Just thought maybe that tank could be slipped out without pulling those six #6 screws.

Thanks to all for the info. Jim

Per Mel, different inspectors require different levels of completeness. If you know who your inspector is call them and ask what they prefer. Obviously, this may be their first -12 so explain the fuel tank thing to them and see what they require. Mine had me take pictures of the controls under the tank and have the tank installed.

Back