What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inspection/Maintenance for E-LSA

Limey

I am contemplating building an RV-12 but am a little confused by the regulations regarding the maintenance and annual inspections. Is the builder of the aircraft eligible to perform these tasks, or do you still have to go through the 16 hour training program?

Clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone can preform maintenance, modifications, etc. on Experimental Light-Sport aircraft.
To sign off the annual condition inspection, you must hold the repairman certificate (inspection) and own the aircraft.
16 hour course is required to obtain the certificate for fixed wing ELSA.
If you build as Experimental Amateur-Built, you may obtain the certificate by showing proof that you built the aircraft.

Answers here http://www.askbob.aero/node/286.

SLSA is almost as restrictive as any other non-experimental! The maintenance and inspection was a big reason I chose ELSA. That 16 hour course, no problem. Building the plane was the real teaching!

Thanks Bill - that was a useful link. It still seems odd to me that if you build the 12 to E-AB rules you can do your own annuals, but if you stick to E-LSA rules you have to take a 16 hour course to do the same job? Seems to me that the actual work you have done, and the associated understanding of the airframe, are identical!

The difference is that the 16 hr course allows you to perform the annual condition inspection on any ELSA that you own.
Also, technically, an ELSA kit can be completed up to 99% with you only completing 1% of the build.

The certificate for the EAB is good for that aircraft only.

Last edited:
Back