What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inside R-2901 Bombing Range Florida

turbo

Well Known Member
gave a call to miami center on 127.20 to find out the area was cold all day.
img0264zg.jpg

here you can see the circular target and the runway in the background.
img0266xr.jpg

the runway is a recreation of cuba's airport. it was used for practice in case of the need to deal with cuba during the possible crisis with the US.
img0271be.jpg

there are plenty of targets on the ground that are littered with holes from strafing runs. it is a fun place to fly around practicing wing overs and low passes.:D
vafwwwmasthead.jpg

Great pix, Ed...

but, we have'ta feel sorry for the poor grunts that paint all those perfect white circles on the ground in combat :D

R-2901

Ed,

It's an interesting place alright. We often overfly it from Sebring to Kissimmee. I didn't know that the airfield was patterned after one in Cuba - do you know which one?

Thanks for the good pix!

tim
N397LT - 7A Subaru

Good hunting area too....little over 100,000 acres.

The Deployed Unit Center (DUC) at MacDill AFB runs that range...and actually fly down to it with their own Cessna 182 based out of my home airport (KPCM).

We call it the "DUC" Air Force.

:D

Oh, and they have to keep the Cessna at KPCM because.....???

You guessed it! No 100LL at MacDill AFB!

there is actually

two of these fields in the r-2901 complex. one is east of macdill aux, the other one pictured here is south about 10 miles. they both look alike.
att2197443.gif

Got to do the strafing and

My wife treated me to the "Crazy Horse" P-51 dual out of Kissimmee, in the mid-nineties --- part of the experience was to do strafing runs just off the deck, and a couple of "toss bombings" of those airfields --- I will never forget the "Crazy Horse" experience.

My wife treated me to the "Crazy Horse" P-51 dual out of Kissimmee, in the mid-nineties --- part of the experience was to do strafing runs just off the deck, and a couple of "toss bombings" of those airfields --- I will never forget the "Crazy Horse" experience.

I hate you :eek:

Good hunting area too....little over 100,000 acres.

The Deployed Unit Center (DUC) at MacDill AFB runs that range...and actually fly down to it with their own Cessna 182 based out of my home airport (KPCM).

We call it the "DUC" Air Force.

:D

Mr. TeaSea, just curious what (if anything) you're flying out of PCM. Mine is the only RV on the field, other than an RV-7a that is nearing completion. Hope to see more around there soon!

Yeah, that's Chris's RV-7a working in the hanger there......

I've spoken to him a couple times. He's always crawling around on the plane when I poke my head in. He wouldn't know me from Adam because I don't think he's ever looked up....

I fly an Archer II out of there. It's a friendly crew at PCM.....

Back