What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inserting prop bushings

I am trying to figure out how to insert the prop bushings into the crank flange on an O-320, and have looked all over and can't find much on it. I have the correct size bushings, and they push into the crank holes about halfway before they get tight. I assume they have to go in all the way to lock them into place. I tried a socket on one end and pressing them in with a C clamp, but I managed to just bend a cheap HF clamp.

Any techniques or suggestions on how to press them in are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bryan

I used a piece of all thread slid through the bushing with some washers and nuts. Worked very well.

Halfway is about right

They only go about halfway, since the end that sticks out locates and drives the prop.

Best,

Prop bushings should seat against the flange. Here you can see I was taking one out, and it's halfway...

9-22-08-003w.jpg

The others are in place, fully seated.

Prop bushings should seat against the flange. Here you can see I was taking one out, and it's halfway...

9-22-08-003w.jpg

The others are in place, fully seated.

The only thing I would change here is; I don't like using the insert threads to pull the bushing into place. I use a smaller bolt and nut.

The only thing I would change here is; I don't like using the insert threads to pull the bushing into place. I use a smaller bolt and nut.

Just to clarify my picture, I was pushing it out, lightly tapping it. Just to avoid confusion...;)

Simple tool

Here's a simple tool for removing and installing the bushings (shown doing an installation). Flip it to the back side of the flange to remove a bushing.

FP19122010A0001I.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the replies and pictures. I managed to get everything in, but it took quite a bit of effort (and putting the nuts in the freezer for a while) before they fully seated. Thanks again.

Bryan

Cencula Tool

I can vouch for Mike's tool! I used it on my engine - I think the one in the picture) and it worked like butter. I struggled with the clamps and threaded rods and Mike showed mercy and made that tool! If anyone needs to borrow it - let me know....

Obvious, but I say it anyway - you don't want to get rough with the flange, a stress riser could propagate into a crack or worse!

Just curious

I will be replacing my flange nuts from 3/8 to 7/16 on a OS-320 are all of the nut the same part number and where do I purchase them? Thanks

Back