What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inserting Pins to ES-00078 Wing Plug

hjd3021

Working on the left wing wiring. Got to the steps where I put the ES-00079 floating connector pins onto several wires. They are then supposed to plug into the blue electrical connector block ES-0078 (for left wing). I am wondering about how the connector pins are oriented when they are placed into the connector block. I don't see anything that says anything about this and I don't want to push them in the way I think they go for fear of getting them in wrong and then not being able to get them back out. The pin itself is not symmetrical. The diagram is clear as to where they go in the back of the connector just not if there is any specific rotation on the pin when it is put in. Is there a trick to putting these in. Will they go in either way or will they only go in one way? Figured that I would ask before I make a mistake!

Looks like I found the answer reading ahead for installation of the landing lights - there is a good diagram on page 40-05 that answers my question clearly showing the orientation of the pin assembly going into the connector. Its the way I thought they should go in. Problem solved - another lesson learned - check all related plans first! Build on.:)

I just went through the same exact exercise a few days ago! With the same discovery and solution. :) It would be nice if a better drawing was on the wing wiring page.

Jim

E00077-78 connectors

I recently install my wings and as I was testing my lights I found that the right nav light did not work. I started at the nav light and it was OK. I pulled the right wing out 6-8" and checked for voltage at the fuse side with the lights on and that was OK. Then I took the wing connector of to check the wires on the back side and they were OK. After some more head scratching I noticed that one of the spring contactors on the fuse side was bent down below the plastic divider. Bent down, it was not making contact with the mating spring contactor. I bent the contactor back up to it's proper position and slide the wing back in and the nav light worked.

It would probably be a good idea to check those spring contactors before installing the wings.

I cannot impress upon you enough to download the wire diagram from Vans site. They are color coded and numbered. An absolute must for all your wiring. I downloaded onto my laptop so I could have it with me in the shop.

Back