What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Input on Brakes

togaflyer

Well Known Member
When the -10 is flying, I will be landing often at a runway that has slightly less than 2000 feet usable. Figuring that your proficient with your short field landings and T/O, does the Van's stock brakes have dependable braking power at gross weight. I know the Matco brakes have more beef, but is it needed. Will the stock brakes fade easily

Thanks.

My opinion is not needed, but preferred. I know several folks that did the upgrade and they stated they had significantly more braking authority.

I've gone into a local grass strip that is about 1900' with 50' trees. The RV-10 had no issues. I was able to stop well before the end of the runway. I only had two people on board and was well under gross weight.

I'm with Bob. Not required, but preferred. When fresh & on your game it's not big deal. When tired and not firing on all cylinders (mentally and physically), and in inclement weather, there will likely be times when you will be glad you had the Matco's.

Good brakes are kinda like owning a gun, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it :D

I've got 2500 feet@ 7200. Rarely use over 1500 to stop and the stock brakes were fine. If its grass, the tires slip more than the brakes so you can't cook em as easy as asphalt.

I hardly use the brakes on my -10. The midfield turnoff at our local airport is at about 2200 feet. I always make the turnoff, usually with very little braking. Like everything else, I guess we all differ in how we fly, but for me the stock brakes are more than sufficient.

ok so the Vans works, but the Matco works better. 243 cal vs 300 mag, both work but one can reach out and touch your target further. But that 300 mag makes your shoulder pay every triger pull, so if I go with the Matco, what are the negatives. Is installation a nightmare, are there wheel pant issues with the Matco. Anyone know the wieght hit you take.

Short

I was based at 5B6 - runway 2298' with 45' trees within 150' of both ends .. no issues with the stock Vans' brakes (landing & stop in less than half the runway).

I now have the Matco brakes & am at SRQ (not even close to an issue .. make first turnoff on Rwy 14 - easy peasy .. have to land long on 32 to get to D!) ..

they brake so short, it's scary .. I like the extra margin. Highly recommended.

Build on - upgrade later ...

Thanks for your input. I will check with Matco at Sun n Fun and hopefully they will offer a special. Better to have more braking power than less when you need it, thats for sure.

Agreed

When you need 'em it's nice to have them. In both RV-10's I always felt the brakes were adequate, but not stellar, and I never really needed them to be stellar. Then it happened. Under less-than-ideal conditions we had to make a landing downwind, long, and on a short runway. The brakes faded really badly and I didn't think we were going to get stopped before the end of the runway. I put the new brakes on as soon as I got home. I haven't needed that kind of stopping power again, and in all actuality I hope I never do. But if I do, I know I have it. :)

Vic

I agree. When The wife and I were talking today and I said most responded that the brakes were adequate, her response was, adequate and airplane brakes, really!
So the Matco brakes it is...

Rich, I think you may have discovered the magic word.

Adequate.....................imagine the possibilities..;)

"Well honey, the GTN 650 is adequate, but the 750---"

"Well honey, the 8" EFIS is adequate, but the 12" ---"

"Well honey, the T hangar is adequate, but the 60x80---"

Back