What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Input from Throttle Quad users

Space Cadet

Well Known Member
The new Infinity throttle quadrant looks very appealing (pictures here, tech details here). But wondering about installation and location issues...

All -10's with a throttle quadrant I've seen had it hanging from about the same location as the standard controls. How has that worked out? Is it too far forward to rest your hand/arm for long periods (like multiple approaches)? Has anybody used an alternate location (on tunnel forward of fuel valve, for instance)?

Thanks!
Dwight

Dwight,

That TQ is set up for your left hand.

The stock TQ works great, even without all the switches. It is up you to locate your switches in a good location.

when?

I've been on the waiting list for that throttle quad for a long time. I also saw the original design and model at Oshkosh 2003.

You can order that quad in left, right or centre mount.

I talked to Infinity relatively recently and they indicated that the tooling machinary was more $$ than expected, etc, etc.

Just a heads up that is it a very nice piece of kit but who knows when it will actually be for sale.

Paul Bonner and John Hooker had built their RV-10 with the console-mounted throttle quadrant, and it sure looked mighty good. But after the first flight this past weekend, it was discovered that the center console quadrant mounted down low close to the floor tunnel was a really bad idea. The fiberglass console housing around the quadrant is much wider than the floor tunnel alone, and this results in not being able to obtain full stick aileron deflection because your leg gets sandwiched in between the stick and the console.

Yesterday, they ripped the console out (forward of the fuel selector) and are mounting the quadrant back up to the original plans' location immediately below the instrument panel to make some legroom so there will be full unhindered stick deflection.

Apparently the RV-10 is not anywhere near as nimble on the ailerons as an RV-4, RV-6, etc, and can need full unhindered ailerons in crosswinds, and losing even a little bit of aileron deflection travel is a big thing.

EDIT: Photos of the center console, before removal, have been posted in the "First Flight N678BH" thread of this forum.

Last edited:
Back