What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Initial reading recs, for a specific circumstance

Jack Tyler

Well Known Member
While this is a general topic, I'm placing it here due to the unique nature of the LSA-type RV kit (no Lycoming, specific directions & parts vs. the many choices to make with the other RV kits, etc.). Before beginning an RV-12 project, we will be returning to Australia for a stay of some months...so I'm wrestling with the question of which few books & DVDs to take with me that would best prepare me for beginning a kit build on our return. Shop manuals and references? I'm not there yet. Lots of 'how to' videos? The EAA on-line videos are very useful and available via my Aussie USB wifi dongle. One of those comprehensive 'How to build a kit...' references which outlines various methods of construction? Nope, I'm w-a-y down the decision tree: metal E-LSA low-wing, Rotax powered. Seems like what I need is advice on tool choices, how to use tools, how to set up a shop, and other 'getting started' info.

So here are two choices I've - tentatively - come up with. Comments?

Getting Started: RV Builder Basics (DVD), Les Bourne
Standard Aircraft Handbook (might get the eBook in .pdf format) - which is not the Standard Mechanics Handbook

I haven't included Tony Bingelis' books, e.g. Sportplane Construction Techniques because, working from specific RV-12 plans I must follow, looking at other ways to complete a given task, or design a system doesn't seem relevant. But I haven't seen these books...so perhaps I'm wrong about that.

What are the gems I'm missing?

Jack

While this is a general topic, I'm placing it here due to the unique nature of the LSA-type RV kit (no Lycoming, specific directions & parts vs. the many choices to make with the other RV kits, etc.). Before beginning an RV-12 project, we will be returning to Australia for a stay of some months...so I'm wrestling with the question of which few books & DVDs to take with me that would best prepare me for beginning a kit build on our return. Shop manuals and references? I'm not there yet. Lots of 'how to' videos? The EAA on-line videos are very useful and available via my Aussie USB wifi dongle. One of those comprehensive 'How to build a kit...' references which outlines various methods of construction? Nope, I'm w-a-y down the decision tree: metal E-LSA low-wing, Rotax powered. Seems like what I need is advice on tool choices, how to use tools, how to set up a shop, and other 'getting started' info.

So here are two choices I've - tentatively - come up with. Comments?

Getting Started: RV Builder Basics (DVD), Les Bourne
Standard Aircraft Handbook (might get the eBook in .pdf format) - which is not the Standard Mechanics Handbook

I haven't included Tony Bingelis' books, e.g. Sportplane Construction Techniques because, working from specific RV-12 plans I must follow, looking at other ways to complete a given task, or design a system doesn't seem relevant. But I haven't seen these books...so perhaps I'm wrong about that.

What are the gems I'm missing?

Jack

Jack,

The above references are good, but if you have internet access you have your best resource. Lots of builder and vendor sites out there......not to mention the VAF..... :)

Jack,

I agree with Sam. I'm a first time builder too as you're probably aware, but have learned all I've needed to know so far about tool kits, setting up shop, the build process, pitfalls and problems related to the RV-12 from:

- this site (great resource with plenty of people willing to help)
- various builders logs (there are some very good ones out there)
- the plans themselves which are very clear and well laid out
- Section 5 in the plans which has a lot of useful information about building
- Vans website (service notices, plans updates and toolkit vendor info)
- the Standard Aircraft Handbook (included with the kit)
- the EAA homebuilders videos - really useful

Not saying you shouldn't do any additional reading of course (and I have), but really the sources listed above are IMHO, all I think you will need to build an RV-12. That said, there are lots of good books, websites and Utube videos out there that are worth reading or looking at. For example, here's a good one on maintaining the Rotax that I got from a previous post on the VAF site, as I recall.

http://www.conairsports.co.uk/downloads/912 maintenance article - inc carb bal.pdf

Nice 'Rotax Manual' link - thanks for that!

Actually, my experience so far parallels both yours...so my plan to take some reading refs with me may seem a bit odd. But unlike the good ol' USA, broadband is not yet widely distributed in Oz, nor is it really 'broadband' as we know it here, nor is it nearly as cheap. Especially when viewing videos, the typical 30-day, 1 GB data package (yup, 1 GB) purchased for our USB wifi dongle disappears quickly. (Buying bigger data packages = more $A and right now the $A is on parity with the $USD). Loading lots of pic-laden pages from blogs & logs also gets pricey. So...while I'm sure I'll continue to mine the kinds of info sources you are mentioning (Boy, is there some good stuff out there!), I was hoping to blend it with some refs I took along with me.

Jack

I'm an engineer and I tend to over-think a lot of things. I did all kinds of preparation and reading. I mean LOTS. I have a stack of books like the Bingelis ones. Then after all that analysis I decided to build the RV-12 and began in August 2010 (first time builder but I do build furniture as a hobby). I've finished the tail (118 hours), wings (128 hours including lights), and now working on the fuselage. Would be further along but I've had a lot of business trips.
My opinion is now that if you are the type of person that even reads this forum, you are qualified and will have a great time building the 12. It is straightforward and a lot of fun. The best thing that I did was to read the blogs - such as http://martysrv12.blogspot.com/
http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV
and particularly http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/ - this one just for the entertainment value besides the great details!
These proved to me that I could do every step. I realize your Oz bandwidth issue. I just wish that I had started the project sooner rather than spent all the time on the detailed analysis. Be sure to download things like the owners manual for the RV12 - all of the Vans docs including the past issues of the RVATOR. When you get back - dive in!

Bill, thanks for your reply...for several reasons. First, I must be doing something right as I already found (and have benefited by reading) portions of those 3 build sites. (Who can avoid drooling when looking at pics of Tony's finished -12, or for that matter the spotless floor of his 'shop'?!)

Also, good points on Vans refs: I have saved several years of RVator for review back in Oz, and should have mentioned that. I also downloaded the portion (but not all) of the -12 Build Manual I could find on-line at Vans. (I've got Intro, Sectons 2, 3 & 5 - all of which are useful but general in nature. Is there more?)

I take your point about obsessing about the prep vs. jumping in. As Charlie Brown once said, starting is the hard part. (Or was that Hobbes?)

Jack

An excellent book is "27 Years of the RVator," from Van's. It's a great compilation of articles on how to build, how to test and how to fly homebuilt airplanes. It's even well organized.

That's the good part. And you can get it paper or on CD; my paper copy came with the CD, no additional charge - thanks!.

On the other hand, there's nothing there about the RV-12 or LSA. The articles about the Lycomings won't be of much interest. So maybe it's a wash.

Still, the RV-12 plans are so good that you really won't need all that much additional information before starting. The VAF is a superb reference if you have an internet connection.

The best thing that I did was to read the blogs - such as http://martysrv12.blogspot.com/
http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV
and particularly http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/ - this one just for the entertainment value besides the great details!
These proved to me that I could do every step. I realize your Oz bandwidth issue. I just wish that I had started the project sooner rather than spent all the time on the detailed analysis.

Thank-you. Another very good blog belongs to John Peck. John's RV-12 should be flying in the next month or so.

http://www.mykitlog.com/BigJohn/

PDF version

Jack -

I have the introduction, tail, and fuselage portion of my Schmetterling blog in a 90MB PDF file - you could read it offline if you have someplace I can send a 90MB file to.

Bill, thanks for your reply...for several reasons. First, I must be doing something right as I already found (and have benefited by reading) portions of those 3 build sites. (Who can avoid drooling when looking at pics of Tony's finished -12, or for that matter the spotless floor of his 'shop'?!)

Also, good points on Vans refs: I have saved several years of RVator for review back in Oz, and should have mentioned that. I also downloaded the portion (but not all) of the -12 Build Manual I could find on-line at Vans. (I've got Intro, Sectons 2, 3 & 5 - all of which are useful but general in nature. Is there more?)

I take your point about obsessing about the prep vs. jumping in. As Charlie Brown once said, starting is the hard part. (Or was that Hobbes?)

Jack

Jack -

I have the introduction, tail, and fuselage portion of my Schmetterling blog in a 90MB PDF file - you could read it offline if you have someplace I can send a 90MB file to.

Dave,

Could you please e-mail me and tell me how you were able to get your blogspot.com blog backed up to a .pdf file.

Back