What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Initial Inspection Question

jte65

Well Known Member
Question for those who have already received their airworthiness certificates or perhaps for Mel. I am working with my local FSDO to get everything in order for my airworthiness inspection (hopefully next month!). The gentleman I am working with is a builder himself and has been very helpful. However, as many have encountered, this appears to be the first kit-built E-LSA they have encountered and he has been researching the regs to make sure he fully understands what all is required.

One item that he thinks is necessary is a logbook entry by a qualified individual akin to what would be done during a condition inspection, indicating the aircraft has been inspected and deemed to be in an airworthy condition. He states this I could do this if I take the 16 hour LSA repairman course (which I don't plan to do prior to my first flight) or an A&P could do this. He indicates a similar sign-off is necessary for E-AB's but since the builder usually applies for the repairman certificate on an E-AB, they can self-certify. I had not heard anyone else comment on this being a requirement with the RV-12. I have had EAA tech counselor inspections by a friend who is an A&P so I could have him do this for me if it is really required. However, is this truly a requirement?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff, You need to make a logbook entry. I usually give the applicant a "sticker" that says,

"I certify that this aircraft was built with materials and instructions provided by Van's Aircraft Inc. I have inspected it and consider it eligible for an experimental airworthiness certificate for the purpose of operating Light-Sport aircraft under the provisions of FAR part 21.191(i)(2)."

Sign and date the entry.

There is no requirement for an A&P to sign off on an aircraft that has not yet been certificated.

Last edited:
My inspection was done by the Sacramento, Ca FSDO. The inspector did not only didn't require such an endorsement, but he didn't look at any of my build documentation. He spent close to 2 hours inspecting the plane. I was very pleased with the whole process.

My inspection was done by the Sacramento, Ca FSDO. The inspector did not only didn't require such an endorsement, but he didn't look at any of my build documentation. He spent close to 2 hours inspecting the plane. I was very pleased with the whole process.

The only reason the inspector might want to review your build documents would be to confirm that you followed the plans to the letter. Remember, there's no "51%" requirement for E-LSA.

Cincinnati FSDO just told me the same

Inspector said that he wanted the equivalent of a condition inspection done by an A&P before he came up to see the aorplane. Mel, would you like to visit the Air Force Museum in Dayton?

Wayne 120241

Inspector said that he wanted the equivalent of a condition inspection done by an A&P before he came up to see the airplane. Mel, would you like to visit the Air Force Museum in Dayton?
Wayne 120241

There is nothing in FAA Order 8130.2F requiring such an inspection. There used to some confusion on amateur-built aircraft but it was finally addressed in the order that no such inspection is required.

I would LOVE to visit the Museum at Wright Patterson. It's been a number of years since I've been there.

Thanks Mel

Thanks Mel- I suspected you would be able to provide direction on this. I reviewed 8130.2F and while it does specifically outline such an inspection as a pre-certification requirement, I could not find anything that indicated it was not necessary either. I think the previous confusion you pointed to regarding E-AB is what is generating this request, as he indicated to me that E-AB requires the same but went on to indicate the builder can typically self-certify since in most cases they are applying for the Repairman Certificate in parallel.

These vague areas seem to cause a lot of hassles. In the end, my EAA tech counselor could presumably sign off an inspection, as he is an A&P as well and will be performing my first flights. However, would be nice to not have to go this direction. Are there any other places in the regs you know of that address this topic that I could point to or is all within 8130.2F?

Thanks

Jeff

Follow-up on pre-certification inspection

I heard back from my FSDO and after some checking, they came back and confirmed exactly what Mel indicated in his response to my question yesterday. Basically, the builder can sign the initial logbook entry indicating it has been built according to the instructions and has been inspected- does not require an A&P or LSA Repairman Certificate for this pre-certification logbook entry.

Thanks Mel!!!!- your response helped out!!!!:)

Wayne- based on this, I would suggest carefully questioning what your FSDO is requesting, as this is clearly not required by any regs.

Jeff

Back