What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Initial impressions

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
Now that I have a few flights on N908BL I thought I'd give some notes. At this point, I have made no real attempts at top speed or even max cruise. I haven't had it above 4500 feet. I have something over 3 hours on it.

For those of you not familiar with it, it has an O-320 (160hp) with 888 hrs TTSN and a Catto 3 blade. The prop was built for an E-mag which is still in the box. It weighed in at 1054 painted with interior. I have pulled a few things out (right stick, seat and interior) and figure it is about 1045 as it sits.

Takeoffs are really quick. It does take a good bit of right rudder. Climb seems most comfortable at around 100 and it will hold 2000 fpm at that. This is while light as I haven't had over 1/2 fuel. I have NO temp problems!! Today at 70 degrees I pulled it back to 85 in climb and stayed under 400 CHT's. #3 is warmest, about 10-15 degrees above the rest.

The Trio AP worked right out of the box. Still trying to get the alt hold to do the same. Have an XCOM760 and it took a few tries to get the intercom squelch right. Seems to work very well now. Love the D10A. It's AOA is cool, although it took a couple of tries to get it to work. Somebody didn't push all the right buttons. Wonder who. . .

Trim is powerful (I have electric) and too quick at cruise. Gotta retrim for a T&G also. Right wing is heavy by about 6 gallons. I believe it is aileron rigging as when I hold them in trail all is level. Release the stick and the right aileron comes up about 1/8". Any suggestions appreciated. Haven't looked into it much at this point as it is only a minor bother. Have more fuel in the left wing and all is fine.

Landings are a piece of cake. Just don't want to get too fast at any point in the pattern. It really doesn't slow down as easily as the spam cans I am used to. I am holding 65mph on final and will work down a bit more as experience dictates.

I am going to get some speed/climb figures before I swap to the E-mag. Also firm temps. I am videotaping the panel and find that the easiest way to get the data down. I hope to be able to give good before/after comparisons. Oh, yes. Think I may have to replumb the fuel flow sensor as it seems a little iffy. It is hooked to the AF2500 engine monitor.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. Who am I kidding, I didn't win the lottery. Anyway, this is one great airplane.

Bob Kelly

Different speeds

Hi Bob,
I showed a Transition trainee just how great these little rockets climb at high speeds just this week. At 150 MPH, full fuel and two 190 pounders aboard, we still got 1250 FPM. At 160, we showed 1000 or better and we tried 170 indicated, full power and showed 800 FPM....simply amazing. Try some higher speeds while you're learning the airplane and I'm sure you'll also be amazed. Besides, when summer arrives, the high speed climbs will be very helpful in keeping oil and CHT's lower.

Regards,

videobobk said:
......Trim is powerful (I have electric) and too quick at cruise.......Anyway, this is one great airplane. Bob Kelly
Bob,
Thanks for the flight report. It sounds like you have a winner! I note the electric trim seems too quick at cruise speeds...and it will be unless you slow the trim servo down. Did you install a speed controller? Adjusted for personal preference, it will give you just the right feel whether in the pattern or at cruise speed.
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...2-273&browse=electrical&product=electric-trim

followup

I think we will go with the speed reducer for the servo. I'm going to look into the auto trim that is available with the Trio alt hold, but it probably is more than we need.

Pierre, the climb is really something. I'll have to give the higher speeds a try. Was that with CS or FP? I would think the FP would hold it's own as speeds go up. I don't see much advantage going below 100 unless you are really looking at a mountain. Almost as amazing as the climb is how slowly it descends. Kinda like a powered sailplane!

Worked on the heavy wing today but didn't fly after adjustment. Will see tomorrow or Monday.

Bob

I too have a heavy right wing.

videobobk said:
Trim is powerful (I have electric) and too quick at cruise. Gotta retrim for a T&G also. Right wing is heavy by about 6 gallons. I believe it is aileron rigging as when I hold them in trail all is level. Release the stick and the right aileron comes up about 1/8". Any suggestions appreciated. Haven't looked into it much at this point as it is only a minor bother. Have more fuel in the left wing and all is fine.

Bob Kelly

I have set my electric trim to be about 7V in flight mode, 12V in landing mode.
Adjusting the aileron control linkage will have no effect on the heavy wing. Any changes will effect both the same. On my plane I move the right flap down after I realigned my ailerons. This help a lot, but I still have a little bit of a heavy right wing. Your amount of heavy (6 gal) should only be judged when you have equal weight in the passenger seat.

Good luck Bob.

Kent

Heavy wing, etc

Kent,

Good point on the passenger weight. I do think you may be wrong on the adjustment, however. I know you would be right on the push tubes running the length of the wing, but one turn on the aileron tubes seemed to help. I think it changes the angle of the bellcranks slightly, affecting leverage. Could be wrong on that, however. Maybe someone has a better handle on that one. Initially I had right aileron up and left down (slightly) with a free stick. Seemed less today and trim would balance it.

Did some glide tests today. Seems best angle is right at 80 mph (light weight) and glide ratio is about 11.6:1. Saw a TAS of 165 mph @ 2400 rpm at around 3000 DA. That is without upper gear fairings. Too nice to take the time to put 'em on. Flew 1.2 hr. Up over 5 hours and feeling very good about everything. How does that sound on speed for that configuration?

Getting the knack of slowing it down. Tried power-off 360's today and found the lowest alt loss at 60 degree bank. 350'. Nice to know if you need to bleed off altitude. BTW, during Xition training, my instructor showed how to REALLY lose alt in a hurry. 3 1/2 G spiral brought us down at 4000 fpm. Don't want to do that again, even in a CS 7.

Bob

Thanks for all of your information Bob, I'm near Dayton, OH and hope to be flying my 9A this fall. You mentioned your fuel flow sensor location might be a problem, could you tell me where it is installed?
I'm also wondering who you did your transition training with. Anybody in the Ohio-Indiana area?

Last edited:
Transition, etc

mdoyle said:
Thanks for all of your information Bob, I'm near Dayton, OH and hope to be flying my 9A this fall. You mentioned your fuel flow sensor location might be a problem, could you tell me where it is installed?
I'm also wondering who you did your transition training with. Anybody in the Ohio-Indiana area?

Used to live out your way, between Hamilton and Middletown. Nice area.

I think we have the flow sensor too close to the gascolator. There isn't the 6" of straight going into it that was called for. Not a big deal to change, but decided to try it this way as we had all the parts to mount it that way.

I did my transition training with a guy from Columbus, IN. He is ex-military and flies for Delta. CFI and I would think CFII, but I didn't ask on that one. Flies a VERY cool RV-7 that he finished last year. Good transition instructor, also. Send me a PM if you want a name/phone number. Don't know how much he will be doing, but I'm not the first. He isn't on Van's list, however.

Bob

I hadn't thought about the bellcrank effect....

videobobk said:
Kent,

I do think you may be wrong on the adjustment, however. I know you would be right on the push tubes running the length of the wing, but one turn on the aileron tubes seemed to help. I think it changes the angle of the bellcranks slightly, affecting leverage. Could be wrong on that, however. Maybe someone has a better handle on that one. Initially I had right aileron up and left down (slightly) with a free stick. Seemed less today and trim would balance it.

Did some glide tests today. Seems best angle is right at 80 mph (light weight) and glide ratio is about 11.6:1. Saw a TAS of 165 mph @ 2400 rpm at around 3000 DA. That is without upper gear fairings. Too nice to take the time to put 'em on. Flew 1.2 hr. Up over 5 hours and feeling very good about everything. How does that sound on speed for that configuration?

Getting the knack of slowing it down.

Bob

I think that I will check my bellcrank position one more time, just to make sure. Which way did you move the tube? Shorter or longer?

Your speeds seem OK without having all the fairings on. I was getting about 150 TAS before any of the fairings were on and now I am at 189 TAS at 8000, 25 square. Took me about 4 months before getting them on.

Slowing is no problem for me as I have a large air brake on the nose (CS prop). :rolleyes:

Happy flying, Kent

Aileron adjustment

After lots of confusing study, I took a Best Guess and shortened the light wing aileron push tube by one turn. Since this seems to have worked, I will bring both out 1/2 turn to re-align the flaps/tips/ailerons. I'll fly some more before I do that to make sure. Actually I may just lengthen the heavy wing 1/2 turn.

I haven't been up above 4500' yet. Plan on going up and trying a WOT run and getting some good data there. Also have to put on the E-Mag before too long. That will make some difference in top speed, or so I have been told. Will probably put on the fairings before I do any of this. Rain is coming in a few days, so maybe then.

Tried a full power straight ahead stall today and it wouldn't! Ton's of right rudder, looking almost staight up, 0 airspeed and about 700fpm UP! I just love surprises like that.

Bob

Seem like there would be a optimal alignment...

As you move both aileron control linkage in and out at some point you should establish the optimal aileron/wing airfoil shape. This should be the most effective shape (best speed). After that the flaps and tip should be aligned with the ailerons. I think that Vans bellcrank alignment tool would give you the best airfoil shape.
Has anyone experimented with improving the aileron alignment through flight testing?

Kent

Back