What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Info Whirlwind 200 RV propeller on an IO-320 ?

PerfTech

Well Known Member
If anyone has this combo, Whirlwind 200 RV propeller on an IO-320 powered RV-9 I am interested in your performance numbers and opinion.

I would do it again!

Hello,

I have the 200RV mounted on my ECI OX-320 with fuel injection and dual electronic ignition.

Cons:
- It took a long time to deliver! (group buy!)
- When it arrived it did not fit the cranckshaft flange! (hole diameters wrong, would fit the O-360) I guess that was a one off and they have learned from that.

Pro's:
- They sent me tools and new bolts, etc., so I could ream the holes myself and did not have to return the prop to the USA to get it to fit my engine (would have been very costly and would even take more time!)
- After about ten hours I had the prop balanced and it did not need any weights at all!
- It performs well, although I have no data to compare it with, since it was my first prop on the new plane. I get the top/cruise speeds as advertised by Van's, although I have a lot larger clearance around the tires, but also copied some small speed mods from Bob Axum. I gues they kind of compensate each other.
- Climb is 100ft/min more than advertised by Van's although my plane is more than 50 lbs heavier than average due to interior finish, options, long range tanks, dual battery and alternator, etc.
- Looks good to!

Kind regards

Tonny.

Last edited:
Just wondering..

I'm glad your application works for you, but I want to put this information out for all to see (true to the best of my knowledge).

1. That prop was designed for 200 HP.
2. That prop was designed for an RV-8: different cowl, different LE, different distance to LE, different distance to canopy.

Since it's a CS prop, it can mask a lot of off-design-point issues and still perform well.

Back