What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Info/suggestions for Glenwood Springs, CO

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
I'm supposed to go up to Glenwood this week and I haven't flown there before. Anyone have recent info on KGWS? Airnav says very little.

I'll be coming from Houston and have the oxygen loaded. Sorta looks like best to fly up the Arkansas Valley and over Independence Pass? Any thoughts from folks experienced up there?

Glenwood

Hi Louise

You picked a good week from the winds aloft perspective but a tough one for afternoon storms so I hope you can get in before noon.

With low winds aloft, Independence will be fine as long as the clouds have not built in. That is some of the most rugged and high country in the state and with the high dew points we are getting this week combined with a little thermal lift, the clouds will probably be down on the peaks by mid to late afternoon.

Good alternates if Independence is clouded up is to come up the Ark, head over North or Monarch pass into the Gunnison Valley then north towards Rifle. Come in from the west. Easier to wait out a shower and sneak in when it is done from than Buena Vista or Leadville. You can get a rental car in Rifle if necessary and drive 20 miles up the road.

I assume you know about landing north and taking off south.

No cars and taxi service typically slow.

Glenwood II

http://www.salidarec.com/ccrc/salida-webcams.htm

The above link has some cameras of the upper Ark Valley. Since there are few AWOS sites up there, cams are the best you can do. The one on the 7 news camera is currently pointed at a couple of 14rs west of Buena Vista and are a good indication of what Independence will look like. Lots of others if you look around.

Good info

Thanks, Duane. It's now looking like I won't be able to get out of the office early enough to sneak the trip in before working at Oshkosh. I'm bummed, but last spring's budget posturing has made a mess of our contracting world this year and I'm afraid I can't take the time for this little vacation trip. :mad:

Hope to see the Rockies again soon, though.

Glenwood

We are talking about a real RV traveler - a trip to the mountains of CO from TX, enroute to OSH, is "a little vacation trip"!

Hope you are able to make the make-up trip.

Colorado Pilots Assoc

Louise, when and if you do come out. I havent as of yet flown into Glenwood so I cant offer any advice, but I am a member of the Colorado Pilots Association and they have some good information on their site about mountian flying in Colorado if you want to check it out. I took their mountain flying ground school in June.

Flat lands - Trinidad - Westcliff - Salida - Leadville. Stop at Leadville if you have never been there and get your highest airport certificate.

Leave Leadville and circle/climb until you can get over the pass to the WNW (near the lake) of Leadville. Some hills but limited duration. Soon you will be over less rugged terrain.

If you prefer being over a road then climb to the south and take Independence Pass. I have never gone that route and you certainly want to talk to Aspen as you head northwest. I should take that route this fall.

I have also gone north out of Leadville towards Vail before turning west.

Expect terrain closer than normal if you fly a standard pattern at GWS.

If you are not familiar with high density altitude ops, look at the AOPA course on mountain flying, know how to lean your engine and fly your normal INDICATED airspeeds. Your TAS/groundspeed (function of wind too) will be noticeably higher than at sea level.

Piece o cake

Welcome,,,,You have the best aircraft there is for flying here in the mtn's of Colorado, but be aware that if you do a standard left hand pattern into GWS (landing on 32,the calm wind runway) you lose sight of the runway for a few seconds just as you turn base.... Dave

Back