What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

info request: moving to DFW area

chadspeer

I'm New Here
I've been lurking on VAF for a few years - a symptom of my secret love affair with these sexy little airplanes. I can tell from browsing the forums that there is a huge community of RV builders and pilots in the DFW area. Fate, it would seem, has smiled upon me.

I am transferring to the area in March (from Kansas City) and am trying to determine where to live and where to fly, perhaps not so much in that order. I fly down every few months to visit friends, and I've made an effort to try to get a feel for various airports. I've flown into FTW, ADS, F69, and RBD. I've also driven to DTO, T67, and FWS. I'll be working just south of the DFW airport (I'm a center air traffic control supervisor), so I'm really trying to get a feel for towns/cities/neighborhoods and their accessibility. I'm not sure what my long-term plans are, so I'm looking to rent, not buy.

As for the RV bug, I've done nothing more than window shop. Kansas City has spoiled me with a very affordable flying club that met my needs well, so those thoughts have sat on the proverbial back burner. Now, with a normally-solo 400 NM flight back to see my family in KC, a speedy little fuel sipper is sounding really good to me. Although my gut tells me that an RV-8A would fit me well (at 5'11" and 250 lbs, the pun is very much intended), I'm more interested in the RV community at this point rather than airplane shopping. Plenty of time to do that when I get settled.

So, if you were single, passionate about airplanes, and wanted an apartment/condo with a reasonable commute to the south end of DFW airport, where would you be looking? I've browsed around Addison Circle and Las Colinas, but I'm sure there are other areas worthy of consideration. I'd prefer to be near some restaurants and night-life, so being buried deep among single-family homes may not suit me.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share. Also, I'll be in the area from Saturday (Jan 7) to Thursday (Jan 12), so I could certainly make time for anyone who would like to get together.

Chad Speer
Kansas City, MO
Piper Archer / Piper Saratoga (club planes)

Hey Chad,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the DFW area! I live in Fort Worth, am a real estate broker/builder, and live near TCU.. I try to stay west of DFW airport if I can help it. With that said, I am very biased towards the Fort Worth area.

It sounds like you would really enjoy the "7th St. corridor," just outside the downtown area. You will find tons of new rental condos and apartments in this area. The area has great shopping, entertainment, and nightlife. There are lots of cool things happening in Fort Worth these days.

If you were to live in this area you would probably fly out of Spinks (FWS), Meacham (FTW), or Hicks (T67). I fly out of Spinks, from this area it is just under a 15 minute drive.

Feel free to ask any questions. I am more than willing to help out.

Cheers!

Hi, Sean.

It's interesting that you talk about Fort Worth, because I think I will eventually settle on that side of the metroplex. I've been considering the Dallas side initially just to get a taste of both cities, but I see a real passionate pilot community at Hicks and 52F. That makes me think hard about fiding something further west now, rather than waiting.

I spent a little time on 7th Street this summer. I specifically remember the Wild Rooster bar. That seems like a cool area. I'll have to experiment with the drive times to work from that part of town.

Thanks for your input!

Chad

Welcome to VAF!!!!

I've been lurking on VAF for a few years -

Chad Speer
Kansas City, MO
Piper Archer / Piper Saratoga (club planes)

Chad, bout time you came out of the closet-----err, I mean joined up:D

Good to have you aboard.

Flower Mound and Highland Village are just north of the DFW airport - lots of pilots there (myself included).

12 min or so to the south end of DFW airport (I drove this for ten years).

18 min drive to 52F (33 RVs based there at last count). :D

Last edited:
Thanks, Doug. I figured getting north of Grapevine Lake would be more of a commute. I'll have to drive around up there tomorrow to get a feel for the area. It's nice having so many options, but it doesn't make the decision easy.

52F has really caught my eye. Is it difficult to find hangar space? Maybe I'll just find one of the 33 and make the owner a partnership offer they can't refuse. Everyone open your hangars for inspection. :cool:

I figure if you're taking the time to post on here, your plane's tanks must be dry. So I threw my $25 into the kitty. Gas or groceries. Your choice. :D

Chad

I know of a brand new hangar house at hicks with a downstairs economy apartment and hangar space at Hicks.

Pat

Just a week or two ago, someone at 52F posted an ad here on VAF for two RV-sized hangar spaces open there.

T67

You could RENT a hanger / apartment at Hicks. There are some hangers with apartments. We have several people that are Controlers that live here.

I do not have an apartment to rent, but I will be happy to show you around and let you have a look around Hicks T67

Last edited:
Moving

Chad!

Long time no see. I'm really happy you're looking for a RV. You'll never get back in a Cherokee again.

I don't fly IFR anymore, but I miss those freq changes to the High Altitude sector so we can visit!

Nice house with hangar across the street from me.

Nice house for sale with hangar across the street from me at 2TS6. Big RV crowd here also. A couple of others available also.

Look for 3142 Falcon Way, Midlothian, TX, 76065
It is a runway lot.

Steve Bloomquist - Real estate agent - 214-418-2215

Don't come here unles you enjoy community parties!

Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions. I put a deposit on an apartment in eastern Grapevine today. That'll be an easy commute to work and will balance drive times to potential GA fields, since my flying arrangements have yet to be determined.

Jay, I'll take a raincheck on that tour. This week flew by, but I'd really like to take a guided look around Hicks. It seems like a great fit for me long term. My trips out there (two this week) have been at odd hours or in inclement weather, so all was quiet. I'm sure someone will eventually do the same for me at 52F, which was downright desolate Sunday afternoon.

Kevin - long time, amigo! Funny to bump into you in the N. Texas forum, but I seem to recall flying to OKC with you to meet your family from Texas, halfway. Small world, and smaller yet with an RV-4, right? :D

Thanks again to everyone, and pay no attention to the guy ogling your RVs - it's just me.

I have to add that I just discovered a PM from Tim Blake from a few days ago suggesting Grapevine and offering to show me around 52F. I wasn't savvy enough to get his advice in a timely manner, but I'll be taking him up on his offer soon. And he has an RV-8A. Sweet!

Back