What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

info on making the F-6119 Rudder Cable Links

brian

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to make my rudder cable links. The plans say to make them from 0.050" 4130 steel. I can't seem to locate the stock to make these.

Does anyone see any problem with making them from 0.063" or 0.125" aluminum instead? I have plenty of that.

Or does anyone know what the steel stock piece looks like and which kit it would have come in? It's harder to find something when you have no idea what it looks like.

thanks,
brian

Strips of Steel

They are just strips of steel stock. I would not deviate from the plans as this is a very critical part.

I'm getting ready to make my rudder cable links. The plans say to make them from 0.050" 4130 steel. I can't seem to locate the stock to make these.

Does anyone see any problem with making them from 0.063" or 0.125" aluminum instead? I have plenty of that.

Aluminum would not be an acceptable substitute in this case. The loads on the rudder cables can be quite steep.

Came in the fuse kit

Or does anyone know what the steel stock piece looks like and which kit it would have come in? It's harder to find something when you have no idea what it looks like.

thanks,
brian

Mine came in the fuse kit. It is a 1/2" x .050 x 12 inch(approximately) piece of 4130 steel .

Excellent timing on this post I'm at the same stage in the build, I haven't located the links yet. How do you determine how long to make these links? How much slack does a person want in the cables? I just went through the plans and either missed this or its not there.

thanks

thanks for the tips, guys! I'll do it in steel, and now I at least have an idea of what sort of piece I am looking for.
brian

Excellent timing on this post I'm at the same stage in the build, I haven't located the links yet. How do you determine how long to make these links? How much slack does a person want in the cables? I just went through the plans and either missed this or its not there.

Actually, I can help you out with that one. The length is determined by where you placed the rudder pedals. The way I'm determining length is this:
1. block rudder in centered position with rubber-jawed clamp.
2. center your rudder pedals so they're straight down
3. attach each cable to rudder horn
4. pull cables snug from front and measure distance between holes in rudder pedal and in rudder cable end
5. fabricate links accordingly, leaving plenty of edge distance from the holes.

In my opinion, and others more knowledgeable jump in & correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think you want any slack at all in your rudder cable. Not "come-along tight", but "snug", with no slack.

In my opinion, and others more knowledgeable jump in & correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think you want any slack at all in your rudder cable. Not "come-along tight", but "snug", with no slack.
Since the rudder control is not a "closed" system, the amount of tension will be determined by how hard you push on the pedals. The links should be of such length that the rudder pedals are in a comfortable position to you with your final cushions in place.

On the right track

Actually, I can help you out with that one. The length is determined by where you placed the rudder pedals. The way I'm determining length is this:
1. block rudder in centered position with rubber-jawed clamp.
2. center your rudder pedals so they're straight down
3. attach each cable to rudder horn
4. pull cables snug from front and measure distance between holes in rudder pedal and in rudder cable end
5. fabricate links accordingly, leaving plenty of edge distance from the holes.

Your rudder pedals wont necessarily be straight down. They are offset from each other. You want to align the bottom of the stirrup so both pedals are in the same relative plane. There will always be slack in the cables unless your feet are on them, but your set up to fabricate the links sounds good.

Back