What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inertia Rings... anybody making them again yet?

Neal@F14

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if anybody out there has taken up making the 11-12lb inertia rings like Mark Landoll used to make?

Seems like there is still a small market for such devices, for those who'd rather put the extra weight onto the flywheel instead of in the form of a heavy crush plate in front of a wood prop... also in the case of a ground adjustable composite prop, an inertia ring bolted to the flywheel is the only way you could add this kind of weight.

I've got a friend with a machine shop and was wondering if I should maybe ask him if he's interested in carving out a few of these rings.

EDIT: Well scratch the idea of my machine shop buddy making them for sale... he's not interested in making airplane parts for sale due to liability concerns. He'd make me a one-off ring for my own plane however, but I've already got a genuine Landoll 11lb ring. Would like to have a few more pounds though. Maybe I'll look into seeing if one thick enough to be 15-16 lbs could be made to fit, as I could still use a few more lbs weight up front. Oh well.

Last edited:
Neal, I was thinking the same thing. I thought about having my uncle machine an inertia ring for me, I'm sure the liability kills the commercial part of it. I'm assuming I will need some weight up front, hopefully find out in a 1 1/2 months.
Perhaps you could and me some pics and dimensions of your ring.

Market it to airboats and include a statement that it should never be used on aircraft. You cannot control how someone misuses your lroduct after they buy it.

inertia ring

Does anyone know if anybody out there has taken up making the 11-12lb inertia rings like Mark Landoll used to make?

Have been considering inertia ring for other reason then W&B: e.g. inertia specified for engine torsional vibration issues with a lighter then standard prop. I my particular case this is a composite prop on an IO360 angle valve with counterbalanced crankshaft.

Anybody that knows something sensible about this ??(no need to ask Lyc)

Btw: Rotax specifies moment of inertia ranges for their 912-914 engine range.

Back