What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In the starting blocks

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I am ready to order the empennage but given the lead time of 12 weeks for the other kits I am wondering if I should order the fuselage at the same time. I plan to "invest" 24 hours per week but as a first time builder I expect lots of overhead time at the beginning (I built a shop for this project and it has to be set-up and organized first). Bottom line: I have no idea on the number of hours needed to finish the empennage. If I order both kits at the same time, I would have 240 hours of work before the fuselage comes in. Is this about right?

I had 262 hours in the fuse kit & 107 hours in the empennage. Your "mileage" may vary. ;)

Last edited:
Build order....again!

I am ready to order the empennage but given the lead time of 12 weeks for the other kits I am wondering if I should order the fuselage at the same time.........If I order both kits at the same time, I would have 240 hours of work before the fuselage comes in. Is this about right?

About 118 hours in the empennage kit for me, a first time builder. I see you are considering the fuselage next. Not the recommended build order as there are wing parts that you have to have in order to build the fuselage correctly per plans. This issue keeps coming up...there are numerous threads in the forum to research regarding the build order.

Tony

Tony & Larry are right it is about 120 hours for the tail kit assuming that you have some experience with tools or you have someone who dose to give you guidance when required. If this is your first aircraft project please read the plans very carefully at least twice before you try to get started. I find that one of the most important steps is to organize the parts and hardware so that as the plans instruct you to use a particular AN Bolt you can go right to the organized parts and find it. There are many good ways to do this just use one that works for you and your shop setup.

If I were you I would order either the wings or fuselage kit at the same time as the tail kit or you may have to sit with nothing to do waiting for the next kit to come. Then order the third kit when you have started on the second.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Vern

Thank you guys, helpful information and advice. The wings after the empennage did not seem logical to me but now I understand why the wing kit comes in second position before the fuselage on VAN's list.
Jean-Pierre Bernoux

Engine

The way the Euro is going I would hold off on the engine till the last possible moment. If Van's get's a deal on the Austrian built engine they will pass it on to you. That can easily be a $2000 swing.

The way the Euro is going I would hold off on the engine till the last possible moment. If Van's get's a deal on the Austrian built engine they will pass it on to you. That can easily be a $2000 swing.

Do they use different money in North Carolina? We haven't changed here in Oregon as far as I know.

Rotax

Well not yet Scott, but if the cost of a 912 dropped because of a stronger dollar then I would think Van's would lower their cost as well. They have done such benevolent deeds in the past. Just recently, when Garmin decided to abandon their existing handheld line and cut the cost...Van's passed the savings on (to those that had not already purchased). And yes, I did hear they have different money in North Carolina...or was that Oregon...lol?

By the way, we just had a Dynon presentation from Mike at our local EAA meeting and I got to brag about how well the autopilot works on the RV12...how I put it on NAV and flew all the way to Sun and Fun while admiring the view.

Back