What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Improvements to the Avery Rivet Squeezer

LittleJoeA

Well Known Member
My Modifications to the Avery Rivet Squeezer

? I too am a weak old guy and had problems squeezing 1/8 rivets with the Avery Squeezer
? I built a set of handle extension which extend the stock Avery Handles by about 8?
? I turned down some ? inch solid steel to fit the ID of the handles
? This allowed the extensions to fit inside the Avery handles so I could just remove the ends of the plastic handles and leave the rest of the plastic handle intact. This allows the tool to be easily used with short handles for 3/32 rivets.
? I decided to mount the Avery Squeezer to the bench so it could be operated with one hand
? My first try was with the fixed handle down, which resulted in the yoke pointing down.
? The yoke down made it awkward to put parts in to be riveted.
? So, I decided to mount the squeezer yoke up with the moveable handle down.
? I put a slot in a piece of 1 ? inch round aluminum and drilled and tapped it for a set screw to clamp the yoke of the Avery squeezer.
? The squeezer will then set upright on a bench with the yoke opening up. When the fixed handle is pushed down, the yoke rotates through a small arc and the movable handle slides on the bench a little. You can use your weight, I have a lot of that, to push the handle down rather than squeezing the handles together. This motion is much easier for me.
? Of course, if you can?t bring the parts to the squeezer you use the squeezer in the normal manner with the handle extenders.
? These modifications have made using the Avery tool much easier for me.
? Photos are posted on Flicker at http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlejoeya/sets/72157625650705623/detail/
? I hope this is helpful

Back