What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Improvements in RV-7(A) vs RV-9(A)

diamond

Well Known Member
I'm fairly new to VAF, so wasn't around back when either the RV-7(A) or RV-9(A) kits came out. I was reading some history on Vans website and learned that the RV-7 came into being approximately 4 years after the RV-9. So here's my question, and this is NOT intended to be a "which is better RV-7 vs RV-9" debate. In the 4 year span between the two models, what did Vans Aircraft learn from the RV-9 that they made improvements on with the RV-7? The obvious wing design is not the type of change I'm talking about, because that's not an issue of "better", as much as it's just different. One could argue that Vans makes improvements with every new aircraft, but since the RV-7 and RV-9 are so similar and came out back-to-back, I'd like to know what improvements were made in the 7 compared to the 9.

Actually the RV-7 was NOT a totally new design. It was simply a culmination of the RV-8 and RV-9.
The RV-6 (the most popular of the RVs) kit had no "matched hole tooling". The RV-8 and the RV-9 did. The RV-8 was a close match to the RV-6 in aerobatic performance. So the RV-8 wings and tail was matched to the RV-9 fuselage, thereby making a good replacement for the RV-6 with a minimum of tooling changes.
Thus the RV-7 was created.

Actually the RV-7 was NOT a totally new design. It was simply a culmination of the RV-8 and RV-9.
The RV-6 (the most popular of the RVs) kit had no "matched hole tooling". The RV-8 and the RV-9 did. The RV-8 was a close match to the RV-6 in aerobatic performance. So the RV-8 wings and tail was matched to the RV-9 fuselage, thereby making a good replacement for the RV-6 with a minimum of tooling changes.
Thus the RV-7 was created.

And the first RV-9 was a heavily modified RV-6.

Van's was learning a lot about the match hole technology as they developed the -8 and eventually the -9(A).

I suspect that as they started developing the match hole RV-7(A) they had to walk through their warehouse every day and just know that when they announced the match hole RV-7(A), sales for the -6 components would drop off. Meaning they would be stuck with a bunch of RV-6 sub-kits.

In addition, there is more to selling a kit than making and flying a prototype. They had to update the builder's manual, get all their vendors in line to make the new engine mounts, gear legs, etc. and have some of those parts in stock the day they announced the -7(A), etc. Talk about a logistical nightmare!

And the first RV-9 was a heavily modified RV-6.

Van's was learning a lot about the match hole technology as they developed the -8 and eventually the -9(A).

I suspect that as they started developing the match hole RV-7(A) they had to walk through their warehouse every day and just know that when they announced the match hole RV-7(A), sales for the -6 components would drop off. Meaning they would be stuck with a bunch of RV-6 sub-kits.

In addition, there is more to selling a kit than making and flying a prototype. They had to update the builder's manual, get all their vendors in line to make the new engine mounts, gear legs, etc. and have some of those parts in stock the day they announced the -7(A), etc. Talk about a logistical nightmare!

So then let's talk about the builder's manual. We all know that Vans made a significant change in manual philosophy in the RV-10 and 12, but were there any improvements in the builder's manual from the 9 to the 7 which made building the 7 any easier than building a 9?

So then let's talk about the builder's manual. We all know that Vans made a significant change in manual philosophy in the RV-10 and 12, but were there any improvements in the builder's manual from the 9 to the 7 which made building the 7 any easier than building a 9?

The -7 and -9 manuals were very similar, when I built my -9. I have no idea if they have been updated to be more like the -10 & -12 manuals. There was a lot of complaining about the manuals back when I was building but I don't hear much about that issue any more.

Some builders complain about the -10's manual because it forces you to follow each step in sequence. Whereas the older style manuals provide you with large drawings that can be used for reference at any time.

Sounds like this is a no win situation.

FWIW, I never had an issue with their old style manuals. They would never have 7,000+ aircraft flying if the manuals were that bad.

I have really not had much problem with the 7 manual. I am really good at building most anything I tackle if I have good illustrations (and the 7 does) but, I am terrible and I do mean TERRIBLE and reading instructions so, the drawings really help me a lot. I try to follow the manual and I have found that it is lacking in some small details but not anything that you can?t figure out.

Back