What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Improve your Avery Rivet Squeezer!

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I finally solved my problem with the Avery Squeezer and after squeezing a dozen AN4 in just one shot, I am now confident that I will be able to do all my solid rivets with this MODIFIED tool.
Here is what I did: I bought a 3/4"x30" steel pipe at Lowe's plumbing department for 8 bucks. I had noticed that this pipe fits snugly over the original handles once the rubber grip has been removed. Cut in half, this provides two 15" long handles which is more leverage than the original. In addition, now the handles do not show any flexibility: they don't bent when squeezed hard. This allows me to squeeze in one pass and, most important, the adjustment of the gap is much more precise. I can produce a one pass shop head that is consistently compliant to the gauge as no adjustment is needed between rivets.

Not that there is anything wrong with Avery Squeezer...

I have put additional details including pictures of the modifications I made on my Blog: http://tiny.cc/t7998
Brian's contribution to the Avery Squeezer is very commendable. I have a hard time though understanding why the Avery Squeezer is such a good tool when so many modifications are needed to make it usable. My take on this tool is that it is an excellent rivet squeezer for rivets up to AN -3. For the AN -4 squeezing I would not recommend it without the modification I have described unless you are a body builder as much as a plane builder. This modification is easy to make, inexpensive and reversible.

some thoughts

1. With those longer handles you could build an old school RV spar.
2. That dude's gotta have some huge hands.

Back