What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

import

777Dave

Well Known Member
Seems like most "already flying" RV's are in the U.S. so if I want one it may well come from there... Anyone been through the process? I have spoken to TC and MD-RA so am familiar with most requirements but what about...
1) flying it home yourself, specifically pilots licence and a/c reg.
2) insurance.
3) homeland security.
4) GST/PST other taxes
5) any other tips.

Thanks...

Couple things

I am looking at doing the same thing.

Insurance - if you are a paid up COPA member you can get the liability insurance and not in motion insurance without any conditions. If you want hull insurance there will probably be a requirement for dual in type. This is covered through Marsh. They have a very fast turnaround to their on line quoting system. See the COPA website: http://www.copanational.org

Fly it home yourself - Not simple. If the previous owner will allow you to fly it under his/her registration, and you have a U.S. pilots certificate, then you could fly it home. You have to have a U.S. certificate to fly a U.S. registered aicraft. There is a reciprocal agreement between TC and the FAA whereby these are not difficult to obtain. I believe you can actually get the Canadian registration for it while it is in the U.S., and then get a ferry permit to bring it home with your Canadian pilot license. Course you need liability insurance as a minimum. Simplest is to get the previous owner to ferry it for you and then have him/her deregister in the U.S.

PST/GST - You will have to pay these, GST to customs on arrival. PST probably to customs on arrival depending on the province you bring it into - some have arrangements with customs to collect on their behalf.

Still need to sort out if there is any Homeland Security issues. I know on a car you have to provide the registration a couple days in advance of bringing it across, and the Canadian side looks for the U.S. paperwork before they will let it in. However I don't yet know if there is a similar requirement for aircraft.

-The A/C must have at least 100 hours on the engine/airframe.
-You cannot register it at a gross weight higher than the kit manufacturer's recommendation.

Both of these can cause quite a bit of problem with TC. Good luck.

Canada Customs

Checked with customs, they do not require any export paperwork from Homeland Security, all they require is the Bill of Sale

I have brought a couple of planes now into Canada and there is no problem.
In order to fly it you need an American pilots license, and it is wise to carry insurance. When you arrive at the border show the customs people the bill of sale and pay them the GST and PST as required. You will not be able to fly it to another airport in Canada once it is here. You cannot fly a US registered AC in Canada unless you are a US citizen. So if you want to get it to another airport it is best to get the seller to clear it in. Also the AC must have at least 100hr on it. After it is here it must go thru an inspection with the MDRA just like the final inspection on a new homebuilt built here. One of the things that will keep you grounded is that the plane MUST have a gasculator installed in it. You will also need to have the planes old markings removed and new ons installed and a Cof R before the inspection can take place. If you have any other questions give me a call.

importing from US

Good stuff guys, thanks!
I had a long chat last week with Bill Hayes at TC, YXU. Verified all of this info.
Has anyone gone to the trouble of getting their Canadian licence validated in the US in order to be able to fly an American reg a/c?

Dave

Back