What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I'm In!

pilot28906

Well Known Member
:D
I have the tools, half of a two car garrage, and as of last week the emp. kit for a RV7A. Now I just need to build a work table, read, and practice on the scrap pieces. I have read this site for over two years and had one ride in a 7A. I am looking forward to the process. Thanks for the website and I am sure I will have many questions.

Mark Reagan, if you are out there check your private messages.

John

Welcome to the club!

Great news John.

Have you hooked up with the SERV mailing list? Lots of great RV guy and gals in the area.

Congratulations!

I attended the week workshop at the Alexander tech place in Griffin,Ga. and built my emp there. It was kind of expensive but I was happy because I learned more than I would have dreamed possible about this kind of work.
Now I am finding out how much more there is to it. :eek: This is a great place to learn. I check in here almost every day.

Starting

Hey John,
Starting the emp can be petty overwelming. As the different parts of the empanage are assembled it gives you a great feeling of accomplishment.
You know this forum is a great source for ALL kinds of info. Congrats on the start!
Oh, by the way, I use a (sturdy) store bought a folding baquet table for the vast majority of my emp. assembly and use a wall mounted work bench for my vice, drill press, etc. you will also need a 3 X 5 sheet of 5/8" particle board to drill and cleco to.
Regards
7a's rule ;)

overhanging edges

definately build one with overhanging edges. dont need to be all the way around but at least on the front.

Me Too!

pilot28906 said:
I have the tools, half of a two car garrage, and as of last week the emp. kit for a RV7A.

Hi John!
I guess the race is on, lol! My 7A emp. kit arrived yesterday (01/09/07). I've partitioned off a dedicated assembly area in my basement but still need to build a couple of tables and run air from my garage compressor. The wife and I did a some riveting at Oshkosh last year. I'm hoping to find someone experienced nearby ( we're near Deadwood, SD ) so we can get some help with the training kits before we begin. Were are you located?
Best!
MikeJ

In the house

pilot28906 said:
I have the tools, half of a two car garrage, and as of last week the emp. kit for a RV7A. Now I just need to build a work table, read, and practice on the scrap pieces. John

Come on John, grow a pair. Take that bad boy right into the kitchen or dining room table and start building. You're burning daylight!!

Plus there will be some great football on this weekend!!!!

Congrats, welcome to a great community of people. Definitely agree on the overhang on the table.

There are two improvements here that I wish I'd made to the EAA tables ... wheels and an overhang. You can manage with the EAA table but a bit more lip will definitely be nice.

-Rick

Even if you didn't build a lip on the standard EAA tabletop, just put an oversize piece of particle board on top of the standard EAA table so that you have a lip. On my table the top sheet of particle board is not secured in any fashion, so I can choose to have a flush edge or lip at any time on any edge. In addition, the table-top surface is easily replaced and both sides can be used.

Another thought I had was using regular bath towels for the table-tops and the DRDT-2 stand instead of carpet, they are easy to clean up (wash or shake out)!!

doug
RV-7 Empennage Underway
McHenry, IL

Welcome

John,

Welcome to the bunch. Check out my web site for some pics of DRDT-2 tables with carpet attatched to slip sheets. Works great. Don't get to carried away on tables because I am just about done with my emp and it looks like my tables are 10 years old. Wheels are a must for cleaning the shop out and making it portable to roll outside etc.
Enjoy and take a Sportair class if you can in your area.

GOOD LUCK

Work Table

John,
Congrats! I am two days ahead of you and on the same course. Just my two cents, I built a table with one edge covered with a 2" angle alum for building the trailing edge. The other three edges have a two inch overhang. I also milled the alum to have a 1/8" radius for bending. The base is 5/8 with a 1/8" overlay that not only makes the angle alum the same height as the table but allows me to replace the inexpensive 1/8" cover sheet once in a while.

After three days I have used all of the above in assembly. When I get to the skins I plan to inlay a metal plate to back rivet as well.

Congrats again,
JD

Thanks

Thanks for all of the info on the tables. I am sure I will be back many times with many question.

BTW I am in far Western NC.

Thanks again,
John

Back