What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ignition Wire Tie-Wrap

chazking

Well Known Member
First, I fly a Wheeler Express. And, these Vans' forums are very dynamic; I read them avidly; Wheeler's forum is in a coma! So, I hope all y'all will humour me as I search for answers.

I have a random engine stumble (it's heartstopping when it occurs!).

I'm running a Barrett IO540-C4B5 (136 SMOH) with Slick (L) on top & Electroair (R) on bottom (all BY37's). AFP system (FM300 Servo), nozzle tune (AFP), Andair boost pump (PX375-TC; replaced as early model failed), all new fuel & oil lines. New B&C contactors (BATT & Starter), starter motor & alternator (L-60 - only "old" part). Most parts have less than 40 hrs on them.

Since July 2009, there have been seven stumbles (some have been one-time events, some have recurred several times in flight - very puckery). Generally, there is no pattern, e.g., heat or time-of-flight, as they have come @ various points in the flight (2 on T/O ~ 150', in the pattern, and others at alt (5 to 6K').

The fuel system has been completely dismantled, all lines cleared with compresses air and no obstructions. No water in fuel. Electroair has been completely replaced (mag p/u; controller, wiring - MAP not chg'd, but not expected to cause a stumble). Taylor spiral wires (6) rechecked (1/4" "burn" in the wire to #2 - replaced with a new wire).

Replaced panel rocker switches (AML34). Re-checked all panel wiring - all good.

I planned to replace the slick harness with a poly harness. I mentioned my plan to a friend who asked "are the ignition wires tie-wrapped together?"
They were. I was told to separate them. Because the wires are tied together, tightly, a cross-fire between wires may occur (randomly) & that could be the source of the stumble.

There's not much I haven't done to solve the issue, so, I have separated the wires (unlikely to be harmful!) and am going to give it a whirl in the next day, schedule permitting.

This approach seems to make sense. Has anyone had experience with this approach; how did it work? Am I being too anal-ytical? Other ideas are welcomed.

Ch

Look into your fuel distributor, spider

I have seen similar symptoms caused by a loose piece of material moving around in the distributor. Sometimes it would move just right and temporarily clog the injector line, then it would move around again.
You can test your ignition lines with a tester. It is good practice to separate them but unless the insulation has broken down I dont think they can "jump" to another line.

I was flying a Maule one day that had similar symptoms. It wasn't my plane so I'm not exactly sure what the specific cause was, but I was told later than an ignition harness replacement fixed it.

I have ignition wires pretty close together on my plane and have no issues. They are held in place with a clamp that was made for the purpose. You want to avoid any kind of 'tying' that compresses the insulation.

The clamps supplied by Slick with their ignition harnesses clamp multiple wires together with nothing in-between them. In addition, the ignition wires are often plumbed next to metal objects like baffles, cylinder heads and engine mounts, where a wire could easily jump to ground. Neither of these installation situations cause problems with a healthy Slick harness. So tye-wrapping slick ignition wires together should be fine unless you have a defective harness. If the harness is defective, and causing the problem, separating the wires to fix it, is a band aid not a fix in MHO and you need a repalcement.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Yes !!

I've had the very thing happen. It took months to figure out that I had ruined the ignition leads by making a wire "standoff" using tie wraps. Over time the wire had a dent pressed into it by the tie wraps. The engine stumbled during climb out when very warm. When cool everything was fine.

Back