What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ignition Molex Crimp

AllThumbs

Well Known Member
Friend
While tie-wrapping the firewall-forward wiring I put some tension on the 2-pin molex for the ignition harness (two thick white wires) and one wire popped right out! The molex pin stayed in the connector so I used a small piece of hose as a pin remover to push in the molex pin's locking clip and the pin came right out. I noted that the crimp was not fully completed on this pin so I stripped a bit more wire and re-crimped it as I didn't have a replacement pin that size.

All is now nice and tight but you should all do some careful pulling on the various connectors before you tie-wrap to make sure you have good crimps. Stein does great work and this is the FIRST little flaw I've found so far.

The tie-wrapping is now complete and they guys are painting the cowlings. Soon...

-Neil

NO CONNECTIONS

Just my opinion based a problem I had earlier this year, I would not wire ANY connections in the ignition system. Hard wire it all. Remember this is your ignition system,not a position light or strobe.

Earlier this year, I had a problem with a Pmag and was unable to isolate it. Turns out it was a connector problem on the ground. I rewired everything with NO connectors. Solid now!!!!

Don't need no stinkin' molex...

I'm not sure if Van's did it that way or if it was an artifact of the Rotax wiring. I need to look at the diagram to see the failure case. If it's like a mag P-wire it will fail hot.

Regardless - I don't think we are allowed to change it if we want to stay with the LSA build. I just wanted all to know of a possible issue since it's a pretty important wire. :)

-Neil

Back