What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR RV-12 ?

Mich48041

Well Known Member
Friend
I am not saying that I am going to do this, but just supposing that once the RV-12 has flown off the 5 hours of testing, that one wanted to fly the RV-12 under IFR rules. The instrument rated private pilot gets his medical and becomes IFR current and equips the RV-12 with the proper IFR avionics. Now what about the engine? Rotax states that the 912ULS is not to be flown IFR. How does the engine know if the pilot writes IFR or VFR on the flight plan? Does the FAA require that the engine be approved for IFR by the engine manufacturer? Since the RV-12 is an experimental aircraft, can the engine be modified by the owner to allow it to be flown IFR? The engine obeys the laws of physics, not the law of the land. It seems that the only way the engine can tell if it is in IFR conditions or not is by the humidity. If a carburetor heat system were added, then could the owner state that he has modified the engine and that now it is capable of flying IFR? Perhaps Mel can offer his input.
Joe

I was going to ask the same thing. When you have a cloud layer at say 2000 agl, and the tops are at say 6000, sure would be nice to get on top.

You need to be careful about modifying the RV-12 unless you licensed it as an Amateur built. Certainly, as an amateur-built, you can do what you want within your Operating Limitations, which could include IFR flight into IMC. Don't forget there is a difference between IFR and IMC, as you can be on an IFR flight plan and not be in IMC. And yes, some do go IMC without being IFR, but that is not a recommended practice.
I flew a Kitfox with the 912UL in it IFR for many years. I never had a problem with any engine operations, including practicing ILS in clouds and light rain. However, every installation is different, and the RV-12 is certainly cowled differently than the Kitfox, so it may differ, and that is what flight testing is about.

Vic

Back