What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR question

jmp470

The wife and I are looking at airplanes and the RV-10 is a contendor, however, I have a question about the finished product. I know it is the builder who determines the limitations of the aircraft and was curious about IFR Flight. Does the RV-10 have some sort of lightning protection?

Short answer is no. Not if built to plans.
Of course, Cessnas and Pipers don't have anything special either, but they are all-metal. The issue to be concerned with is the fiberglass-composite cabin top. Cirrus embeds an aluminum mesh onto its outer surfaces. One could do something similar.

BTW, "operating limitations" are issued by the FAA. The builder usually sets additional constraints such as gross weight, V speeds, etc. It 's my FAA operating limitations that say IFR is allowed if .....[basically, it says I need to follow the part 91 rules with regard to instruments and radios required for IFR].

IMO mesh isn't necessary and would only add uncessary work to the build. I'd spend your effort on a well thought out, robust, fault tolerant electrical system. I see you're in the DC area. I'm working on my cabin top right now so you and your wife are more than welcome to stop by and check it out.

We all have a steel fwd cabin support brace, aka lightning rod. I ensured mine was grounded, then have a 22" diameter/.016" thick ground plane beneath top com 2 antenna. I really am not worried about lightening as much as I would be worried about the thunderstorm nearby. Your chances of death are probably much greater maneuvering in the pattern. It is a great flying airplane, vfr or ifr and cost half of any like certified.

Fit a wx-500

Great Ifr machine, close to 600 hours on ours now, half flown under the Ifr.

:)

Just build with single pilot Ifr ops in mind, you are not building a 2 pilot plane, so it is not a B777.

Fantastic airplane.

It's one of the most stable and comfortable IFR platforms that I've ever flown...absolutely wonderful!

Best,

Back