What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFlyRV10 Flush Latch/Plane Around new install

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed the flush latch and plane around center latch while building the door rather than cutting back into an assembled door shell? If so, any pictures or information you wish to share on this approach?

I am building my doors now and wish I had asked the same question a month or so ago. I have most of it finished except actually installing the push rods and gears.

Looking back, there may be some things that could have been done better/easier/less intrusive. But I haven't thought through them enough yet confidently make any suggestions.

Hope others will chime in with more of an answer than me.

-Jim

Door latches

I started on my latches before the door halves were mated. It doesn't hurt to beef up the area around the front latch.

I decided to go ahead and close up my doors and do like everyone else and fit once the doors are fitted to the top. Its fiberglass so any cuts can be covered up right? Doesn't sound like there is an abundance of info or guidance for pre join and installing these products.

Charlie,
I installed the Plane Around center latch both before and after the doors were together. Once you install it after they are together you realize how easy it is to just do it all together. As I recall I left safety wire inside the door to pull the rack gear into the center from the front, and from the back you can just stand the door on end and slide the rack in from the back of the door. I just looked and could not find any photos of the installation prior to the door being assembled.

Back