What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ifly and Westech

rcarson

Well Known Member
I am looking for a gps that is reasonable in price and has easy to use features that will drive an autopilot. The Ifly seems to fit the bill. does anyone have experience with these and how do you like it? Also I have installed a Westech CHT four positon unit and read where the cold junction is set to 75 degrees. The cold junction in installed in the engine compartment and I am sure varies greatly as to ambient temperature. The problem is if the temperature is 100 degrees the instrument has an error of -25 degrees. If the temperature is 50 degrees the error is +25 degrees. Does anyone have experience with these units and is there an installation trick that eliminates or lessens this error? If not I intend to get rid of it for one that is accurate without this problem. I have noticed on cool days that the cht runs at 425 to 450 on climb out which is not good. However I don't believe it is accurate. The number 2 and 4 cylinders are the hotest ones which doesn't make sense to me so this could be part of it since the cold junction is in the oil cooler side of the engine compartment. Anyone with actual experience would be helpful, Thanks.

I am looking for a gps that is reasonable in price and has easy to use features that will drive an autopilot. The Ifly seems to fit the bill. does anyone have experience with these and how do you like it?

I have an iFly 700 and it drives the Trio ProPilot very nicely. The iFly works as advertised.....recommended.

Ifly

Thanks Sam. I will order it today. I also have a Trio autopilot and will really enjoy long trips from now on.

Recommend the 720

I love my iFly --- I had the 700 and upgraded to the 720 for the brighter screen and other features --- even though I have an ipad with WingX, Foreflight, Etc. ---- the iFly on the panel of the RV-10 is my main reference.

I'd recommend the iFly 720. Updates are much easier (wifi), the screen is much brighter, and there is less latency on the software because of a more powerful processor.

I've had both the 700 and 720.

Ifly and Westach

Thanks for the replies on the Ifly I got it yesterday and am looking forward to using it.
I called Westach about the Cht and was surprized to discover that an unpowered thermocoupling always has a cold junction which will cause variation in the gauge reading. All Pipers and Cessnas have this same arrangement and have for many many years. Therefore it is never accurate. At times mine has been off by 40degrees which isn't accurate enough for a hot running 7 with the restrictive cowlings that we have. The electronic cht has a powered probe which eliminates this problem and Electronics International has thiers listed at 1% accuracy which is the one I ordered. Van's knew nothing about this topic so I thought I would pass it on just in case someone was looking for a cht.

Back