What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If you are not bleeding, you are not trying hard enough…

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
My build buddy Tom Doran came over yesterday to help me rivet on the forward fuselage top skin. This a a real PITA as reaching the rivets with the bucking bar involved contortions and arms on sharp aluminum edges. But - it is done and I never again need to do it.

I just don’t remember bleeding this much on the first RV-10 build.

Cabin top has already been fitted and will go on for the last time in a few days. Soon it will look like a real airplane.
Carl

Attachments

• IMG_5027.jpeg
    IMG_5027.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 20240903_150359.jpeg
    20240903_150359.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 93
My build buddy Tom Doran came over yesterday to help me rivet on the forward fuselage top skin. This a a real PITA as reaching the rivets with the bucking bar involved contortions and arms on sharp aluminum edges. But - it is done and I never again need to do it.

Cabin top has already been fitted and will go on for the last time in a few days. Soon it will look like a real airplane.
Carl
At least not until the next build.. :)

You are ahead of me so I haven't had this pleasure yet, but I have had some minor injuries so far in my 10 build. Just recently, the stainless steel bulkhead cut me several times before I was able to deburr it.

I remember on the HS there were some rivets where my finger was between the back of the bucking bar and something else. I knew it was going to hurt when the rivet gun hit, but as you said no pain, no gain.

You are ahead of me so I haven't had this pleasure yet, but I have had some minor injuries so far in my 10 build. Just recently, the stainless steel bulkhead cut me several times before I was able to deburr it.

I remember on the HS there were some rivets where my finger was between the back of the bucking bar and something else. I knew it was going to hurt when the rivet gun hit, but as you said no pain, no gain.

Carl
Hey Carl we used to use the kevlar arm sleeves kinda for that reason, but it was during my automotive and industrial days to protect against exhaust burns. Might try them

Hey Carl we used to use the kevlar arm sleeves kinda for that reason, but it was during my automotive and industrial days to protect against exhaust burns. Might try them
Yup. I have to use them! Soooo much blood on my parts. I'm just glad they are epoxy primed for corrosion protection. I guess I'm getting "Thin Skinned" as I get older, definitely no need for "blood thinners" Just remember "it's OK to give 100% unless you're donating blood"

bleeding liberal.png

Carl
Blood sacrifice is frequently required for desirable objects.

Watch those firewall flanges! Basically a long series of razer blades. Put me in the emergency room with a bone deep cut when my “helper” dropped their end when we where lifting the fuselage around.
Gloves? I don’t need no stinking gloves…..

Watch those firewall flanges! Basically a long series of razer blades. Put me in the emergency room with a bone deep cut when my “helper” dropped their end when we where lifting the fuselage around.
Gloves? I don’t need no stinking gloves…..
Need to be very careful. We had a guy in our local EAA chapter slip and cut his neck on the edge of stainless firewall. His wife was away and he bleed out and died before she got home and found him. Very sad.

Last edited:
I used to tell the mechanics that worked for me if they weren't bleeding, they obviously weren't working!
Can't work on airplanes and not bleed!
However, this is where good edge finishing pays off, get rid of those sharp edges, low hanging fruit.

Back