What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If ya missed Pettit-Jean... You MISSED this!

FulltronAviation

Custom RV painting by Fulltron
Advertiser
If you didn't make it to the Pettit-Jean RV Fly-In, you didn't have the opportunity to see the "show-plane"paint job that Marlin did on Dale Wait's RV-10. It glows in the sun, and as you walk around it the colors are constantly changing. Photos can't do it justice, but they'll give you a hint. If you're ever at Springfield Downtown Airport (3DW) in Springfield, MO, drop by and see it in person. Call in advance to make sure that Dale is in town.

Attachments

• Dale F.jpg
    Dale F.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 340
  • Dale A.jpg
    Dale A.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Dale B.jpg
    Dale B.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Dale C.jpg
    Dale C.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Dale D.jpg
    Dale D.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Dale E.jpg
    Dale E.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 141
Maybe it looks different in real life, but from these photos it seems hard to imagine the N-number would meet the requirements of 45.21(c).

If you didn't make it to the Pettit-Jean RV Fly-In, you didn't have the opportunity to see the "show-plane"paint job that Marlin did on Dale Wait's RV-10.

Are you familiar with the EAA judging standards? The decision tree provides specific scoring guidance.

Here I'd score at 6, and expect a range of 5 through 8 for any group of judges. Pretty, and certainly above average, but nothing like Darwin Barrie's RV-7, or even Arden Hjelle's Tailwind, the very first OSH Grand Champion.

Attachments

• EAA Judging Standards.jpg
    EAA Judging Standards.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 231
Are you familiar with the EAA judging standards? The decision tree provides specific scoring guidance.

Here I'd score at 6, and expect a range of 5 through 8 for any group of judges. Pretty, and certainly above average, but nothing like Darwin Barrie's RV-7, or even Arden Hjelle's Tailwind, the very first OSH Grand Champion.
This will probably start a controversy and it is a thread drift, but I have a problem with professional built/painted show planes dominating homebuilt judging. I believe there should be another category as 100% owner built and painted. A superior professional paint job with adjustments to fit although at great cost can make many otherwise average planes a show winner. The planes with a $20k+ paint job with many complimented with professional artistic air brushing appear to be the consistent winners.

Paint..........

I have a problem with professional built/painted show planes dominating homebuilt judging. I believe there should be another category as 100% owner built and painted. A superior professional paint job with adjustments to fit although at great cost can make many otherwise average planes a show winner. The planes with a $20k+ paint job with many complimented with professional artistic air brushing appear to be the consistent winners.

Agreed.

My other main concern with such a paint job is the WEIGHT! OMG: how much does all that paint weigh? So much for building in lightness....:eek: And it doesn't make it fly any better.....;) Give me a light, well-built airplane that performs well and that I don't have to worry about landing on a dirt road (Vlad) and dinging the paint! Makes for a much less useful airplane...IMHO

This will probably start a controversy and it is a thread drift, but I have a problem with professional built/painted show planes dominating homebuilt judging.

This has been a gripe of mine for about 20 years since a particular (beautiful) RV-6 won every award from coast to coast. The story in Sport Aviation read like a "who's who" of that era's high end pro builders. Good or bad, the judging standards don't really address that - they are simply an objective evaluation of the airplane.

Its an unfortunate situation, but in no way diminishes the pride I have in my airplanes or the enjoyment I get from flying them.

This will probably start a controversy and it is a thread drift, but I have a problem with professional built/painted show planes dominating homebuilt judging. I believe there should be another category as 100% owner built and painted. A superior professional paint job with adjustments to fit although at great cost can make many otherwise average planes a show winner. The planes with a $20k+ paint job with many complimented with professional artistic air brushing appear to be the consistent winners.

When you spend 300K on an RV10 with all the trimmings, a 20K or even more doesn't seem very expensive. The problem with the Vans RV is there are so many of them now that to stand out, a RV must have the top of the line paint design, and painted by Evoooke. (trying not to get banned)

Looking back in the recent history of Oshkosh, all the Lindy winners, experimental and other categories, all had the best of professional interiors and paint jobs that make the Italian car club envious. Unfortunately, the guy who scratched built his mini-B17 barely got a mention as a consolation prize. If anything, it should be the Lindy winner in the best spirit of experimental aviation. Today's Lindy sadly is based on how much you can spend.

Also not a fan of mostly pro built flying billboards robbing other deserving builders of awards. Amazing what can be built with sponsor’s money!

Sorry for the thread drift! Awesome paint job!

Last edited:
When you spend 300K on an RV10 with all the trimmings, a 20K or even more doesn't seem very expensive. The problem with the Vans RV is there are so many of them now that to stand out, a RV must have the top of the line paint design, and painted by Evoooke. (trying not to get banned)

Looking back in the recent history of Oshkosh, all the Lindy winners, experimental and other categories, all had the best of professional interiors and paint jobs that make the Italian car club envious. Unfortunately, the guy who scratched built his mini-B17 barely got a mention as a consolation prize. If anything, it should be the Lindy winner in the best spirit of experimental aviation. Today's Lindy sadly is based on how much you can spend.

I had a customer a few years ago that was trying for grand champion. Didn’t quite make it as he came in second. Other than build the engine and do the actual painting, he did most everything himself. He gets an A for effort in my book. It was was a ton of work.

Met a guy at Oshkosh several years ago with a similar N number, N36DD. Said it was his wife's bust size.
Could've bought a table saw.

Don't give up. I do think it's possible to win grand champion without "buying" it. Many are frustrated with the paint jobs being the main focal point of the winners. Personally, I would like to see an unpainted/home-painted Sonex that was family built to perfection be one of the winners. I believe it will help inspire others that the spirit of homebuilding is alive and affordable.

Vic

Back