What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If I use Sikaflex.....

Darren S

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I've already drilled and cleoced my canopy and windshield to the frame. Then I read all about Sikaflex. I would like to use it to attach the front of my windshield to the top aluminum skin. I think it may be a little easier and quicker than doing a fiberglass layup.

If I use Sikaflex to hold the bottom of the windshield, what are you all doing about the fiberglass "lip" that is suppose to be fabricated to go between the windshield and the canopy ? This too is suppose to be laid up in fiberglass as a continuation of the fiberglass lay up around the bottom.

Suggestions ? Do I fab a piece out of aluminum sheet ? Anyone with pictures or a link ?

Thanks,

Darren

When I did mine, I masked the canopy inside and out where I wanted the fillets to stop. I also masked the deck inside and out. Then, just after locating the canopy with the sika in the side rails, I layed in enough sika around the canopy/deck joint to make the fillet and smoothed the fillet as best I could. After it set, I sanded it smooth with open 80 and 100 grit down to the tape (forgot to mention, I used electrical tape to mask). and then peeled the tape away and feathered the deck edge.on the outside. I'm not bothered by the slight ridge inside. If I were going to lay a fiberglass strip over it, as some have done, I would have made the fillet smaller and did the same procedure and then remasked for the fiberglass layup.

Thanks for the reply Patrick,

I think I understand how to do the Sika fillet from the base of the windshield to the top aluminum skin. On the Slider canopies there is a fiberglass piece that the builder is to fabricate at the top of the windshield (across the windshield bow) that acts as a seal between the windshield and canopy, when the canopy is closed.

This is the piece I was referencing in my earlier post. If the builder does a fiberglass lay up, then he/she would do the lay up across the bottom of the windshield and across the top. I would like to do Sikaflex at the bottom and was wondering what other ways there are to fabricate this piece at the top of the windshield.

Darren

Oh, you mean the 'targa' strip. I've got one on my tip-up, too, makes a nice seal when the canopy's closed. On the tipper, that could also be made of a strip of aluminum, but the slider has it in a spot that introduces at least some conical shape, if not a little more complex. I'm pretty sure it's been done. It's hard to go wrong with a fiberglass layup, though. If you wanted to match the sika somewhat, you could go with carbon fiber and black sikaflex.

Back