What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ideas to hide spur gear?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Gents,

I am busy with the doors and looking for neat minimalistic way to hide the spur gears at the handle.

I don't want to go 'overboard' with full upholstery, I am simply going to paint the doors on the inside, but those handle gear mechanism needs to be hidden somehow. :confused:

PS: Also looking for a neat good looking way to safety wire those pins.
PPS: Also closing out those hinges on the door top

Thank you in advance,
Rudi
door.jpg

Last edited:
Rudi,

Take a look at Ivan Kristensen's Phanfare site. I don't have the url handy at work, but google should help you find it. He has quite a few photos that detail exactly what you are asking. With the Mc Master Carr seals, you need to fill these areas in for a good seal on the door..

Geoff Combs also has recently fabricated a part that I saw at OSH, that covers the handle area nicely. Additionally, he's got new handle covers too that he had at OSH too. I know that Ivan has quite a few photos of Geoff's RV-10 at OSH on his site as well.

I'm looking at putting a partial fabric covering on the area beneath the window. This is due to all the holes that had to be created for the iflyrv10.com flush handles and the planearound.com safety latch. I haven't designed anything yet, but that's my intentions at the moment.

bob

I used a piece of scrap alum, about 4" square, drilled a hole about 3/4" in the center, rounded the corners, and split the piece down the middle. I then covered it with scrap fabric from the headliner, and plan on using double sided tape to stick it on.

Mike, nice website you have there. Folks should take a look.

Your setup for sensing the rear pin is absolutely the best I have ever seen. I may just have to steal it.

I have the same key lock setup in my door as you do, works well.

Is the black piece in the door behind the inner handle a grab bar for closing the door??

Hi Mike,
Yes the black piece is a handle so the door can be pulled in while operating the door latch. I just cut a hole on each end of the door depression, inserted the aluminum bar and drilled and tapped for a screw to hold it in place.

It really needs to be shaped to bow out from the door as there is just enough room to get your fingers behind it now. That is an item on my after first flight to-do list.

Mike

Back