What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Ideal" Wing Tie Down Length

Hello everybody, I am looking for the ideal tie downs to add to my flight bag. Currently I travel with two lengths of rope for tie down, but I am considering purchasing nylon straps with karabiner hooks and cam locks for a more secure tie down.

I would like to know what length of tie down is ideal for an RV6 to ensure that I can reach the average tie down bracket on ramps at general aviation airports. The tie down I am looking at is 72" long and can handle 2000 lbs tension strength. I wonder if 72" is long enough.

I'd also like to know if others more experienced than me have recommendations of tie down lengths and products that they like for their RV6.

Thanks for any input!

Bryan Ferrer
RV-6
Front Range Airport (KFTG)
Denver, Colorado

I think you'll be fine with the ropes you are currently keeping in the aircraft. In my experience (all West Coast at this point), the usual chain type tie downs with "S" hooks at California, Oregon, & Washington airports I have been to have been more than sufficient.

Hello everybody, I am looking for the ideal tie downs to add to my flight bag. Currently I travel with two lengths of rope for tie down, but I am considering purchasing nylon straps with karabiner hooks and cam locks for a more secure tie down.

I would like to know what length of tie down is ideal for an RV6 to ensure that I can reach the average tie down bracket on ramps at general aviation airports. The tie down I am looking at is 72" long and can handle 2000 lbs tension strength. I wonder if 72" is long enough.

I'd also like to know if others more experienced than me have recommendations of tie down lengths and products that they like for their RV6.

Thanks for any input!

Bryan Ferrer
RV-6
Front Range Airport (KFTG)
Denver, Colorado

Bryan,
Rosie always told me to make 'em 12 feet long. Tie down loops aren't always close by.

I made some for a friend of mine a few years back out of 2,000 lb test mountain climbing rope. They came out really nice.

From Rosie: What Moose said...my original 6' ropes are collecting dust in my hangar. After flying all over the country, I've found tie-down spots that come in all sizes. Mine come from Top Knot, and they will make them with a small, stainless steel hook for you :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't use nylon straps or nylon rope. It's stretchy and what's needed is stiffness. If the plane starts rocking on its tie-downs, the possibility of a dynamic overload is real - and I've seen tied-down airplanes destroyed because of that.

Get polyester (not polypropylene) ropes, or at least ropes with a polyester cover (some have a core that's a different material). Ideally, some of the high-tech marine ropes used on the newer sailboats, some of that stuff is seriously good. Plenty stiff, knots easily, stronger than you can imagine in even small diameters.... and not too expensive.

I buy that sort of rope from www.apsltd.com. No relation other than as a happy customer. I like these ropes:

5/16" diameter:
Sta-Set
XLS
Regatta Braid (easiest to handle among the 5/16" ropes))

1/4" diameter
V100
MLX
Endura Braid
Warpspeed (nice rope, unfortunately smallest is 5/16" dia.)

I've been using Regatta Braid for years with my C180 and might change to one of the thinner ropes one of these days.

Dave

Rope vs. straps

I use climbing rope:

-weighs less for the same length;
-higher working load for the same weight;
-more options for attachments (as aircraft taxi over tiedowns, the open end of S-hooks are often not open)
-won't scratch my interior when stowed, exterior when installed or removed.

Bowline and half hitches are all you need to secure just about anything.

Here is an EAA video on tying down.
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=616323497001

Back