What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Idaho

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Johnson Creek, Idaho.

The Bush Wheel Awarness Jonson Creek Fly In was a complete success! There where 101 airplanes counted. Only 5 RVs. Two of my Texas RV friends made it to the fly in.

I am thinking that anyone that has a RV needs a second airplane,,,, a Super Cub. The best camper, short field, airplane out there.

Come and join us when you can!

We Loved It

RVJohnsonCreekTakeoff6.jpg

We made it out late Saturday for the free food. Got a late start due to a failed master solenoid, so we had to fly around quite a bit of weather.
RVJohnsonCreekBittyWX.jpg

This was the least of it, too busy flying to deal with pictures. Crossed the front near Dillon Montana, got bounced around pretty good, even at 100 knots.

RVJohnsonCreekPlanes6.jpg

Loved It Part II

Great food
RVJohnsonCreekGlastar6.jpg

Lots of interesting planes
RVJohnsonCreekBonanaza6.jpg

A dutch gentleman told the story of the Piper Cub as he delivers it to audiences in Holland.
They had a nice presentation with a raffle with lots of nice prizes. They made sure that every kid there got a nice prize, my copilot made out with a very nice lighted frisbee. These Supercub people know how to make you feel welcome.
RVJohnsonCreekJohnMcKenna6.jpg

This is fellow Bozemanite John McKenna talking about the Recreational Aviation Foundation, they have been doing a bang-up job saving and creating backcountry airstrips.
RVJohnsonCreekHelio6.jpg

Our "next door" neighbors
RVJohnsonCreek6.jpg

Not much rain, but lots of dew!

Thanks for the invite Randy Lervold, and thanks to the Supercubs.org

Hans

Spinner Woes

Here is why I took the spinner off:
DSC00293.jpg

DSC00292.jpg

I think my over-countersinking of the spinner finally came home to roost. Looked fine on preflight.

No issues with the nosewheel, JC is very smooth, I just keep it off as long as possible, like always. I flew the canyon downstream on a long approach, and was getting knocked around pretty good. Couple of times my wings were past 45 degrees before I could correct, but it smoothed out over the runway. Better to fly in the morning.

Hans

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Hans. Now the $64k question:

did you fly it with the spinner off and if so, did you notice any differences?

Jeremy

Spinnerless Flying

Thanks for the info Hans. Now the $64k question:

did you fly it with the spinner off and if so, did you notice any differences?

Jeremy

Yes, the plane seemed a little slower, but more noticeably it ran hotter.

Hans

Camp Fire

Hans,

Carol and I had a central meeting place around our fire. Next time stop in. Wish we could have visited more.

Back