What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM IC-A200 knobs

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
What are people doing when the rubber on the knobs of the Icom IC-A200 cracks and falls off?

Is there a source to purchase the rubber from? Price?

Are new knobs necessary? Source? Price?

I called Icom

and they sent me a pair for free.... However after a year or so they disintegrated again and I just left them off until I find something that is a little more robust...

They must have changed the rubber

First pair lasted 5+ years...This latest A200 they didn't make 5 months!

Good radio apart from that though.

Frank

knobs

What are people doing when the rubber on the knobs of the Icom IC-A200 cracks and falls off?

Had ours for 7years and does not seem to be a problem......It is in the hangar for 5 months of the year though....when its -40 outside. Hey maybe you all should come and fly up here where it is cold and save the rubber....:D
Seriously though, this is the first I have heard of that problem.....??

Where are they breaking?

FWIW, on our 93 Honda a knob repeatedly broke on the little tube that slid over a shaft. After the first 2 or 3 knobs lasted less than a year each, I got disgusted, wrapped cotton thread around the plastic tube, then put super glue on the cotton thread. Kind like the same idea as a fiberglass part. That reinforced it well enough it never broke over the remaining 7 or 8 years we had it.

This has been a very common problem with the Icom radio since it first came out. There has been no fix yet by the company other than excuses.

Replacement Rubber Parts

Mine lasted 5-6 years and then I used C-A glue to "repair" the rubber parts. But earlier this week I ordered a set of replacements from Icom America (800-346-0495).

8010001170 2ea at $1.14
8010011600 1ea at $1.23

As an aside, it's refreshing that Icom can put small parts in a padded envelope and ship them for the cost of a 1-ounce stamp.

It's not necessary to remove the radio to change the knob covers but I pulled it to tighten the hex nut on the frequency control which had worked loose over the years.

--
Joe

Knobs

Go by their booth at OSH or S n F and they'll give you a set. The'll last about a year. Then you'll forget about them and fly without them!

Call ICOM customer service.

We have several A200 coms between us flyers in the area. I called customer service and told them, they sent me a dozen large ones and two dozen small ones without charge. Don't need them to freely turn the knobs, but the knobs have a better feel with the rubbers on them.

Speaking of knobs, I just noticed, after about 100 hours of flying, that the shaft on my A200 is "wobbly." It still changes frequencies but is "loose" in the guts of the radio.

I pulled it, of course, and shipped it off to icom. I was just wondering if anyone else had the problem and if so, what was the culprit? How much was it for repairs?

DAHUGO

... the shaft on my A200 is "wobbly." ... I was just wondering if anyone else had the problem and if so, what was the culprit? How much was it for repairs?

Hopefully Icom won't charge you anything; it's just loose hardware on the frequency control. Mine worked loose after about 8 years so I applied Loctite Threadlocker? when I re-assembled it.

In other words (literally) see the last sentence of post #7 (above).

--
Joe

update:
just ordered 2 each.
part numbers and prices are still the same.

8010011600 ea $1.23
8010001170 ea $.57

shipping is via USPS, 1.90 standard mail.

Rubberbands for the knobs

ordered 2 complete sets for my IC200 radio, were not free but close to it. :D Really nice folks!

Back