What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom IC-A200 Dimming input - needed?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
The ICOM IC-A200 has an input (pin B) that says it should be connected to the dimming bus.

This is the only instrument in my aircraft that doesn't have a photocell, so it is the only one that "needs" a dimming bus.

The question is for anyone flying behind one - does it really need to be dimmed for night flight?

Icom lighting

The A200 light circut is not controlled by the on off knob, so I have it switched, instead of dimmed. No night flight for me as I have no external lights.
Andrew
-9 preview
11AC chief flying

I dim mine.

I dim my IC-A200. I also have map lights so this was a good use for more knobs. I find that I do need to dim instruments at night. The ones that dim with photo cells are still a bit too bright for me. The IC-200 is not a huge display screen, but I find it bright without the dimmer. I have the same radio in a Citabria and dim it there also.

Heads up: I have had to fool (adjust settings under the silver tape) the side-tone and the squelch the IC-A200 to get it to play well with the other radios (GNS430). This may be more of an issue than the lighting. Look into that if you have not done so already.

Last edited:
Back