What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom A210 ribbon

You have to take the top cover off. It is easy and pretty self explanatory once you see the inside. The connector is right on top.

Ditto to what Brantel says. Remove top cover, the connector will be immediately visible.

If I recall clearly, the connector has a sliding lock that pulls out to release the clamping pressure on the cable, and pushes in to increase the clamping pressure on the cable (that way, the cable preferentially pulls out of the front panel, and not the body of the radio, when you pull on the front panel).

Note that last time I was at iCom, they gave me the "new" ribbon cable, which is about an inch longer than the original. They say that with the longer cable there have been much less complaints about cable failures from users.

Where did you order the ribbon cable from? I want to get an extra one to have on-hand. I had to pull my radio for some panel work, and when I re-assembled it, I noticed the ribbon cable has a sharp bend/fold right across it, about a half an inch back. It looks like it must have come this way (long story, but I've never actually had the front panel off my icom until today - I had it locked into the panel by other means). So I want to have an extra ribbon on-hand just in case. Where can they be ordered?

Where did you order the ribbon cable from? I want to get an extra one to have on-hand. I had to pull my radio for some panel work, and when I re-assembled it, I noticed the ribbon cable has a sharp bend/fold right across it, about a half an inch back. It looks like it must have come this way (long story, but I've never actually had the front panel off my icom until today - I had it locked into the panel by other means). So I want to have an extra ribbon on-hand just in case. Where can they be ordered?

I got mine direct from Icom. That fold is normal and they do come that way.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/partsandservice/servicecenters.aspx

ICOM A210 Ribbon!

While it may work, the ribbon is a very poor design. And, having to replace a ribbon cable, while "easy", is further evidence of poor design. An obvious point-of-failure, particularly on essential equip (backup radio...), is unconscionable!

While it may work, the ribbon is a very poor design. And, having to replace a ribbon cable, while "easy", is further evidence of poor design. An obvious point-of-failure, particularly on essential equip (backup radio...), is unconscionable!

Actually it has proven to be quite reliable at least in my airplane with way more than the average install/removal cycles on the radio along with 3-4 panel upgrades.

Fair Enough

Brantel, fair enough comment. Experience is a good measure of value.

I have an A200 in the panel and the metal catch stopped working (hex head stripped, I think) so it could not be secured in its tray. At that point I decided to upgrade to A210 while repairing the A200 & selling it.

The A210 worked fine, great display, & no issues with ribbon cable. Next day, fired-up the avionics and the A210 display was dark - the freqs worked. ICOM support told me to remove / reinstall the ribbon cable; I did, no display.

Repaired the A200 metal catch & reinstalled it; it worked fine. Reinstalled the A210, display dark, called ICOM support, they told me to replace the ribbon cable. Even a new cable does not guarantee the display will light in the future. Losing confidence in the A210, I exchanged it for a GTR-200. For now, the A200 is in the panel until I can re-pin for the GTR-200.

My experience may be anomolous, but the A210's display situation & the ribbon cable design cause me great concern; the ribbon cable was livable, but not the dark display (ever!).

Safety-wise (IFR panel) I prefer a second radio that has a contemporary electronics design, gives an easily readable display, and is well-supported.

Back