What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom A210-GPS in?

Bruce

Well Known Member
Friend
I am using the Lowrance 2000C and have
the RS232 hooked up to Pin 10. I also see
there is a Pin 3 IN but says OUT in the book.
I am using a 15pin DB.

It is not transferring the data to the 210.

I do see there is a TXD and RXD on both
of the pin callouts and both positive.

1st---What is TXD
2nd---What is RXD
3rd---Will it transfer the data

I hope Brantel has the solution.

Thanks,

Pin 10 looks to be the correct pin for serial input

TXD is transmit data
RXD is recieve data

They both are positive in ref to the serial common pin.

You will need to ensure that you have the correct output wire on your GPS connected to 10. It should be labeled as a transmit pin.
You will also need to make sure your GPS is set to output VHF com data as well.

I used the card connector so I am not as familiar with the d pin connector. I also have only used Garmin GPS's as well with my A210.

Last edited:
Brantel,
Thanks,
I am in the right pin so I will
check the data on the GPS.

I just did the same thing.

I hooked a garmin 396 serial out to my A210. It works, i do get the frequencies transfered into the radio. You may need to run a serial ground between the radio and the GPS, I did. I don't know if it was needed. One thing I found was that it does not work as well as I had hoped. When flying around in the crowded Long Island , NY area, where there are many airports, it doesn't seem to change the frequencies correctly. I flew between three airports that were 5 miles apart and it would stay on one airport till I was directly over the next. Not very usefull, I'm hoping that on a trip over more sparse areas it will change to the upcoming airport before 5 miles out. It does display the frequencies well, though, showing TWR, GND, AWS, etc. I could see it being very nice on a trip.

While that is a function of the GPS, not the radio, be aware that you can push a frequency on demand from the gps anytime you want.

Not sure of the logic Garmin has behind when they automatically send freqs out. Matt might chime in and fill us in???

I seem to recall from other threads that the 210 will only take data in Garmin format... Confirm that your Lowrance can put out the right format before you assume you've wired it wrong, because i'm sure others have hit that barrier before.

For what it's worth, my Aera does the same thing as the 396 when it comes to frequencies. It won't put the next waypoint into the backup until you're within 5 miles, which means you have zero time to get your ATIS info or listen to traffic in the area before calling in. I haven't had any success on the Aera with "pushing" data from the GPS to the backup on demand... You can tap on the frequencies on the screen, but they didn't transfer for me. Not sure if there should be a delay and i'm not waiting long enough, or something like that.

Even with the limitations, it's handy to have frequencies carried over... I can tune in ATIS and outer TWR manually, and by the time I need inner or ground or fuel frequencies they're all in the backup.

Snowflake,

You have to have the latest firmware on the A210 for the "Push on Demand" feature to work. I have an Aera and can push any freq I want on demand. This did not work on the earlier firmware.

I suggest you get a firmware upgrade. It fixes this problem and actually makes the dual watch mode work properly.

Last edited:
Ah! I *do* have the latest firmware, but I haven't gone back and tried that since I got the upgrade. Thanks for the heads-up, it probably works now. The dual-watch mode does work great now.

Back