What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom A 210 Serial data from GNS 430W?

tim2542

Well Known Member
I'm having trouble getting serial data (Airport Freqs)from my 430W to the Icom A210. Presently it's connected to serial 1 on the GNS, 9600 baud rate and aviation format. This same port also feeds my GRT EFIS so I cant really change those settings. If I understand it I should be seeing a "GPS" bank when the RCL button is pushed.
I did try to send it from the EFIS (SL 40 format) but that dind't work either.
Any suggestions? Oh software version is 1:43 I believe
Thanks, Tim

Not 100% sure but I do not think the Aviation format even supports VHF Frequency data exchange.

Most people do this with a handheld that has this data piggybacked onto a NMEA stream.

Thanks

I see now the Garmin 430 can not send out NEMA data so that will not work. I did play with trying to get a NEMA string out of the GRT EFIS. That has not been successful either but I'm not sure why. I also tried my old Airmap 100 and no luck with. I must have something set wrong but dont see what it is. I'm using 4800 baud and believe I have the Airmap set correctly. At this point I'm moving on unless someone has a fix.
Thanks!

Keep trying... It works perfectly with my Garmin Aera, and is one of the best features of that combination, in my opinion. I rarely have to tune my own frequencies anymore.

Keep in mind not all handhelds pass out freq data. I have no idea if yours does or not. The Garmin units do if configured correctly.

Serial from 496

I had John Stark wire up my harness for most of th instruments on my panel. I want the ability to push frequency information from the 496 to the IC210. I did not mention this to John when he wired this up. I figured it would be easy to make the connection until I looked at the limited instructions.

John wired the radio with the molex connector and not the 15 pin Dsub. Is there a way to get serial data into the radio with the molex connector?

Thanks for any help with this, I figure you guys have been down this road before.

Mike

I had John Stark wire up my harness for most of th instruments on my panel. I want the ability to push frequency information from the 496 to the IC210. I did not mention this to John when he wired this up. I figured it would be easy to make the connection until I looked at the limited instructions.

John wired the radio with the molex connector and not the 15 pin Dsub. Is there a way to get serial data into the radio with the molex connector?

Thanks for any help with this, I figure you guys have been down this road before.

Mike,

Here's a link to the ICOM A210/210E install manual. http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/IC-A210_Inst_3.pdf It shows the serial connections as pins 1 and 2 of the Molex connector. The A-210's we've wired came with a supplement note regarding the serial connections. This supplement is not shown with the A-210 manual online, only the A210/210E.

Yep it works with the molex connector as that is what I used. You can actually get more features with the molex connector than with the dsub..

Here is the link to the knowledgebase article that is basically the same info that is on the supplement that comes with the radio detailing how to connect the GPS. I did not use the radio for my GPS power source like they show.

Another ?

Thanks guys, now I have another question. The 496 was part of my panel plan when John made up the harness, He has the the yellow wire on the data cable going to the 430W I have and the blue wire (Data out) going to the HS34 and it is labeled NMEA. His instructions say to configure the 496 to NMEA. If I do this do I loose the ability to split a wire off the blue (Data out) to get frequency info to the IC-210

I am trying to get an understanding of what I have and what does what. The NMEA data to the HS34 I assume is so the Dynon autopilot can fly off the 496 course, but I have not delved into the books to see how I select between two different GPS NAV sources.

Anyone out there with a similar setup; Dynon 180, G430W, IC-210, GNX-327, and Garmin 240 audio panel. I would be interested in the interconnections you guys are using.

All of the connections to the audio panel seem to be what I would want, I just have to add a couple wires so I can SWAP COMMs from a button on my stick.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, just tap the output wire of the GPS (blue one) and connect it to the A210 input. Set the 496 to NMEA & VHF out and it will provide NMEA data and the VHF frequency data on the same wire. Devices that don't use the freq data just ignore it.

Yes the Dynon AP/HSI and other functions that use GPS data can and will use the 496 as a data source.

The HS34 is what will take care of switching between the data sources. You can press the NAV SRC button on the HS34 to toggle between the available sources for the main CDI and the BRG SRC button to do the same for the two RMI pointers

Awesome

Thanks for the information, it sure is nice to get help from those that have been down this road.

Maybe by weeks end the panel will be powered up. :)

Cheers

Yes, just tap the output wire of the GPS (blue one) and connect it to the A210 input. Set the 496 to NMEA & VHF out and it will provide NMEA data and the VHF frequency data on the same wire. Devices that don't use the freq data just ignore it.

Yes the Dynon AP/HSI and other functions that use GPS data can and will use the 496 as a data source.

The HS34 is what will take care of switching between the data sources. You can press the NAV SRC button on the HS34 to toggle between the available sources for the main CDI and the BRG SRC button to do the same for the two RMI pointers

Back