What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM 210 Dsub and Molex Q...

cjensen

Well Known Member
I was reading the install instructions on the 210 last night, and I'm a bit confused (what's new???)...

The say something like if you're using the Dsub, you need to use the MD-13 (or something like that) back plate, and there's a whole set of steps that need to be done in taking off the back of the radio to expose the wires to reconnect them to the other back plate with the Dsub on it.

It doesn't say anything about if using the Molex connector, that this needs to be done, unless I missed it. It was late...

Another question...why two types of connectors? I'm guessing it depends on what the radio is being connected to? I'm really NOT liking this wiring ****...

Anybody have any pics of how this was done?

:confused::confused:

It's for an SL-40 Tray

<snip>
The say something like if you're using the Dsub, you need to use the MD-13 (or something like that) back plate, and there's a whole set of steps that need to be done in taking off the back of the radio to expose the wires to reconnect them to the other back plate with the Dsub on it.
</snip>

All the Dsub and MD-13 stuff is only if you are going to slide the radio into a Garmin SL-40 tray instead of the tray that came with the A-210. Otherwise, you follow all the instructions for the Molex connector which is the "normal" ICOM setup.

Chad-
I wondered about that too originally, but came to the same conclusion: that the Dsub connector was for the old Garmin trays. At the same time, however, the wiring diagram was so much clearer for the Dsub connector than the Molex that I temporily thought of wiring it with the Dsub. The main problem with this, though, is that some of the neat functions the A210 does are only avaiable if wired with the Molex. Good luck with yours, I still have to wire mine.
Steve

Back