What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ice Flow - Lake Superior

Peter.Fruehling

Well Known Member
Ice Floe - Lake Superior

It was a pancake red alert for the Minnesota RVer's today. Cold but clear...WE'LL TAKE IT!!! (-19C on take off)

Here is one image from the trip. This is the ice floe on the edge of Lake Superior near Duluth, MN.

15mxl5h.jpg

Forrest did you or Pete shoot any video up there?

- Peter

Last edited:
Brrr! It's 30 this morning in Atlanta. And that's too cold!

Cool pics, though. Never been to the Great Lakes - Other than Oshkosh and Chicago - Looks like some great things to do there for an outdoor-type vacation.

Just not in January!

Looks like some great things to do there for an outdoor-type vacation.

Just not in January!

What? You've never lived until you've gone ice fishing in a shack out on the ice on Lake Superior. They even use Cubs on skis to ferry in stuff! Think man-cave on ice. I've even seen them with satellite TV so they could watch the Packers games!

Actually, that sounds pretty cool. No pun intended. I'd have to borrow a jacket, though. They don't sell them thick enough here!

How goo's the heat in an RV-9?

Jim,

Ice fishing always reminded me of a cold version of fishing in a toilet. ;)

Seriously though, I sure miss Northern Michigan! Heck, the first four times I got frostbite was up there.

Great picture Peter!

Toasty

As long as the sun is out, the -9A has adequate heat. When the sun goes down, the heated seats are the key, and are really comfortable.

I have dual heat muffs. I normally run LOP and when it is really cold, it does seem to be warmer when running at peak or ROP peak.

My oil cooler is completely blocked and at times it is a struggle to get the oil temp on the o-320 above 160F. I'll try blocking the cowl air inlets to see if that helps.

Ice Fishing

Ice fishing on Superior takes guts! Every time the wind switches hard, the ice flow drifts. Once or twice a year it seems like somebody gets "lost at sea" - pickup truck and all - drifting out when the wind picks up and pushes the shore ice out. Luckily the flows are huge and with a little rescue work the intrepid anglers get hauled back to shore.

Landing on the ice

Back in the 80's (when I last lived in Michigan) a friend trashed his Citabria landing on the ice. Turns out some guy left a cement block on the ice to mark his tip-up, it snowed, covering the block. My friend was landing on the lake and hit the block with the left ski (what are the odds?) and ice looped the bird. It came home in a truck. :(

You just reminded me, I sure miss ice boating! Talk about FUN!

Back