What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I wasn't expecting it until Monday...

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
Yesterday, while quietly eating my lunch, I heard the unmistakable rumble of the FedEx truck in the street out front. I joked with my wife, "Maybe he's bringing me my plane.". In a few minutes the doorbell rang and that is exactly what he was doing. He delivered me my empanage kit for my RV7.

I am really excited and looking forward to this. Now if the temperature will just go up so I can start working on it.

Welcome Aboard

Gil,

Congrats. There are quite a few people, my self included that are currently working on their RV7 empennage. It can be very helpful to get feedback from others. There are a few places where the instructions are maybe not 100% clear. Just make sure to read all the referenced drawings carefully there a some notes on the drawings that are not mentioned in the actual instructions.

Great news!

Congrats of getting the tailfeathers home and good luck with your build! Looking forward to progress reports and pics here on the forum!

By the way; after you're done completing the toolbox and practicekit, I recommend you start with the VS. That one so much more easy to build than the HS.

PS: you don't need so much space for the tail, so instead of waiting for the temp to go up, talk your wife into letting you start with the build in the living room...! ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks...

Ray - thanks for the advice. I've already used VAF to find out if everyone has a bowed VS808PP (which everyone seems to). I've completed two of the airfoil kits. One is pretty mangled because I used it to practice removing rivets.

Alf - I loved your retirement post, btw. I agree on the VS. I spoke with someone at Van's last week and that was his exact advice. He said the VS is easier to build, and if you make mistakes the parts are cheaper to replace. :) I suspect another reason is so that you can see progress faster. I already have my VS clecoed together after just a few hours work.

congrat's Gil!

....maybe the first thing to do is flip thru the builders manual, and every 10-15pages, start to insert sticky notes that say....

" take wife out for dinner! "

"cut lawn"

" change oil in car"

" feed children, dog etc"

Back