What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I "Oiled" the Prop....

Piper J3

Well Known Member
The prop is a super bug smasher which makes burping the Rotax engine a nasty job. I washed off the bugs and tried something I learned from an old A&P…. I “oiled” the prop. I took a little Mobil 4T on a paper towel and applied a thin coating to the front and back surfaces of the prop. Mobil 4T is full-synthetic so it doesn't oxidize and has stayed on the prop for several flights.

So, I flew this morning and I see higher airspeed. Looks like a few mph... Granted, I flew solo with minimum fuel, but even so… I have never seen much over 135 TAS in level flight. This might be an anomaly or wishful thinking, but at least the prop is staying cleaner….

Attachments

• IMG_9601.jpeg
    IMG_9601.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1.png
    IMG_1.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 58
The prop is a super bug smasher which makes burping the Rotax engine a nasty job. I washed off the bugs and tried something I learned from an old A&P…. I “oiled” the prop. I took a little Mobil 4T on a paper towel and applied a thin coating to the front and back surfaces of the prop. Mobil 4T is full-synthetic so it doesn't oxidize and has stayed on the prop for several flights.

So, I flew this morning and I see higher airspeed. Looks like a few mph... Granted, I flew solo with minimum fuel, but even so… I have never seen much over 135 TAS in level flight. This might be an anomaly or wishful thinking, but at least the prop is staying cleaner….
Interesting outcome, though I suspect that A&P was mostly working with metal propellers. Sensenich (and Van’s) state that the propeller should be waxed with a high quality automotive wax at least yearly. Had you been doing that but still had the bugs issue?

Interesting outcome, though I suspect that A&P was mostly working with metal propellers. Sensenich (and Van’s) state that the propeller should be waxed with a high quality automotive wax at least yearly. Had you been doing that but still had the bugs issue?
I wax my composite sensenich and the bugs will come off even on the back side of the prop.

Jim. I would clean the oil off with water and soap per the propeller manual and use automotive paste wax. Oiling a composite prop is probably not a good idea. Suggest cleaning bugs off the cowls, leading edges and prop after each flight.

Would Marvel Mystery Oil give you 140 TAS?

Back