What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I need an oil screen plug

frankh

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am looking for the steel plug that holds the pick up screen in a HORIZONTAL screen Lycoming 360.

I currently have a Raven 45 deg swivel fitting that I'm not totally thrilled about (it maybe prone to air leaks) so I am thinking about welding a hose fitting on the back of a steel plug.

This will prevent any possibility of leaks and I can get exactly the angle I want.

Does anyone have one lying around on a shop bench somewhere?

Thanks I'm in Corvallis Oregon

FrankH

541-602-8756

Replacing the fitting will render your inverted system and possibly your entire oil system inop. I have the same 45 degree fitting with an O-ring as a gasket, there is another fitting Raven sell that may do away with the swivel.
Why do you feel it is leaking air at the fitting?

Inop?

The system will work exactly as before, the swivel fitting will simply become a non swivel. I.e I will drill a hole in the plug and weld a hose fitting on the outside of the plug.

I don't know for sure that it is leaking, but I also used a hose with an o'ringed swivel that definately was leaking..I posted a full write up on vans a few months back.

Basically the oil pump would airlock..i.e the oil pressure would take too long to come up to pressure on first start with cold thick oil.

I slathered silicone around the joints and voila that problem immediately went away.

I intend to replaced the swivel hose end but would rather make my own custom take off that is exactly suited to my needs.

If someone knows what the thread is in the sump I could even make one on the lathe..easier if someone had a plug though.

Plug

When I installed my pre-owned engine I had to replace the oil sump. Would the plug from the old sump work?

Yes

As long as it came out of where the oil screen came from it should.

I just need to drill a hole in it and weld on a pipe fitting and voila.

I'll send you a PM..Let me have your number and I'll call you

Thanks

Frank

Back